Kuta: Surf's up!

Kuta Travel Blog

We had a rather uneventful flight from Singapore to Bali, cruising in over the crashing waves and gently touching down near our final destination of Kuta. A 15 minute, prepaid ($5) taxi ride later and we were huffing it down Poppies Gang 1, backpacking/surf bum central. We found an okay room in a nice setting with a beautiful pool and all not 300 meters from the beach. After dropping the bags, we hit the beach. The waves were pounding as promised and I started to get a bit apprehensive about trying this whole surfing thing. With a bit of prodding from Ji, though, I got a board for about an hour from a beachside hawker named Georgio and waded in the water. It was a hunk of a thing, 10 feet long at least; a proper long board. First wave: not much. Second wave: kneeling, then stopped. Third try: Stood up! Stopped. Fourth-10th, more of the same. Finally I timed it right, stood up, and surfed! Yeah, maybe for only about four seconds, but it was some progress. Another 45 minutes of getting up for 5-6 seconds at a time and I was grinning from ear to ear. And sore. Very, very sore.

Two hours later and my back was killing me. My chest hurt every time I took a breath from jumping on the board. My legs hurt, my neck hurt, everything hurt. Crazy.

The next day Ji and I were up early to go at it again. This time she got a body board and we spent a few minutes trying it out. She picked it up quickly and as I went further out on the surfboard she rode the waves as well. We broke for lunch and came back a bit later. I switched to a shorter board, about 7’6 and we both headed out again. I was again having issues with timing or something, and kept stalling out as soon as I got up. I got a few good runs in and was content. Ji tried the surfboard as well and stood up 3-4 times. Good fun, but it was time to move on. On to Ubud!

Vikram says:
Oh dear, all that body pain doesn't sound good :-(
Posted on: Sep 17, 2012