Raven Rock State Park

Lillington Travel Blog

Waterfall
So, it had been warming up some, and the weekend was supposed to be nice- sunny with highs in the mid 60s and lows around 40.  OK, so 40 is still pretty cold ...at least to me, but needing to get outside after my extensive winter hibernation, I agreed to go on a short (1 night) camping trip.  As we neared the park, I noticed remnants of snow in a ditch and began to rethink the whole idea, but the actual weather was nice, so we ventured on, a decision I regretted that night as temperatures began to plummet under the clear skies.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.   Before the freezing night (did I mention it fell to 25 degrees?  I thought the weatherman said 40?), we had a nice hike to camp, along a pretty stream full of little waterfalls.  Then we hiked down to Raven Rock itself, a really cool cliff on the Cape Fear River!  Then we returned to camp where a big fire soon became necessary.  After the freezing night, it quickly warmed up and it did climb back into the 60s, so we had another enjoyable morning of hiking before returning home.  Despite the cold evening, it was a very good trip, and Raven Rock is a great little park.
robzvoice says:
Great blog and pics, Brett!
Posted on: Mar 19, 2010