Home Sweet Second Home

Guadalajara Travel Blog

For everyone that knows me, you already know that I have this obsession with studying abroad, meaning I have stayed with many host families in three continents: Spain, Mexico, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. Well, my host family in Mexico is from Guadalajara, and its been three years (to the day) that Ive seen them. I decided that it has been way too long, so I made the treck across country just to see them.

I wrote them an email and told them I would be arriving a day later than I actually did just to leave some sort of surprise. It was great to see their reaction, priceless, I mean, three years, thats a long time. Last time they saw me I wasnt even in college yet. Now, Im about to graduate and have long hair and a beard due to this backpacking journey.

Well, being the good host mom Beatriz is, she cooked me a huge traditional Mexican dinner... then made me shave. Haha, I think moms are the same in all parts of the world.

So, for the next two days, I really didnt go out or explore the city. I just wanted to chill at home and catch up on lost times. Plus, my host mom kept feeding me and feeding me until I couldnt move, thats probally the real reason I didnt leave the house that much, but hey, no complaints.

I had a really fun last night. Mexico was playing Colombia in a friendly soccer match, so, they decided to have a soccer/going away party for me. She cooked my favorite meal, tortas ahogadas, along with some of my other favorites, turned on the game and invited some friends and family over. It was a whole lot of fun! I had almost forgotten how much I loved that city.

For all you travelers out there, Guadalajara is an amazing city and I definitely suggest that you go and check it out. However, just like any place, the people are always the ones that make a place special. You can be in the most ugly place in the world, but if you`re in good company, youll have a great time. So, I guess I lucked out this time. I was with good company in a great city, what else more can you ask for?

So, after eating for 2 days straight untill I gained all the pounds I have lost this trip back, I had to say goodbye to my host family again and head to Mexico DF, my final destination. So far, it looks great, meaning I must get off the computer to go check it out. Besides, I leave Saturday morning to go back home, incredible, I have got to take advantage of my last days. Adios!

Jc22ny says:
I agree cool People can make any destination an unforgetable experience.
Posted on: Sep 12, 2008