Kipu Falls, The Beach, and the Kalaheo Open Air Market

Kauai Travel Blog

Today is another mellow day. Later tonight we plan on going to a Luau, which I will blog about separately, but since I have a bit of time at the moment I thought I would write about our experiences so far today.
We had another late start today, but who cares, it's Hawaii! We decided to check out Kipu Falls, which is a cool little waterfall that is quite easily accessible. You drive down this road and park and then take a trail for about 1/2 mile through some plants until you reach the waterfall. It is a place where people come to jump off the rocks into the pool below, or swing from a rope into the water. I just hung out and enjoyed the beauty of the place, but Norwood did both the jump and the rope swing and said that they were a lot of fun, and also provided him with quite a bit of adrenaline.
After the falls, we headed over to the Sharaton in Poipu (mostly because I wanted to check out their pool and if it would be worth it to come back and swim there....it would be). We strolled along the beach a bit, watched the waves, and stopped at the beachside bar for a couple of Mai Tais complete with pineapple slices and tiny umbrellas. This is also where I said good-bye to my leis, as the flowers were starting to wilt. It is said that you should leave your lei at the ocean, so I found them a beautiful place on some volcanic rocks next to the crashing waves. I always get quite attached to flowers for some reason (I know, I'm a wierdo), so it was a somber affair. Still, I think it was the best place for them...somewhere beautiful.
After Poipu, we quickly stopped back in Kalaheo for the open air market. It was quite a small open air market, with only a few local people selling things out of the backs of trucks. I bought a particularly sweet smelling papaya from an adorable little old lady, which I will enjoy later tonight or tomorrow morning.

For now, we are just relaxing a little bit before it is time to get ready to go to the luau. I know it's a bit touristy, but I'm very excited about this luau. It is Luau Kalamaku and it is at an old sugar plantation. It is supposed to be less cheesy than some of the other luaus, so we'll see!!!
As Norwood and I were quite exhausted from our incredible adventure along the Kalalau trail yesterday, today was an extremely mellow day. We woke up a bit later than usual and slowly got ready for the day. We started off with a nice, easy breakfast of coffee (Kauai Coffee Company Medium Roast), pineapple, and bagels with cream cheese, courtesy of our toaster oven. We didn't actually end up getting out of the house until almost 1pm because of all the relaxing we were doing (though we did go on a search for Fred the gecko around our yard and found Fred and his cousin Larry too). After heading out of the house, we headed off to Koloa for some lunch. It was pizza again because Norwood is really stoked on pizza on this trip for some reason. We split a medium pineapple and tomato pizza and it was delicious. It was mellow and relaxing at the restaurant and we were sitting out in a beautiful garden area, so we decided to sketch a bit while we were waiting for our food. I drew some of the plants in the garden and Norwood drew a hula girl. The tourists at the table next to us just sat and stared at our drawings the whole time, and our server was pretty excited about them too. My drawing really wasn't that exciting...it was just a couple palm trees and some leafy plants sketched very quickly, but you would have thought I was Da Vinci.
Anyway, lunch was good. After lunch it was off to Poipu Beach for some relaxation. When we got there, the beach was crowded with tourists (as Poipu always is) and there was a sea turtle in the water. People kept getting way too close to it and the lifeguard kept telling them to back away, but people don't really listen. He must have announced it over his bullhorn about 50 times at least. It made me think about the other day when we were on the North shore and snorkeled with the sea turtles. Of course, we didn't bother them when we were snorkeling, but you can never be too trustful of a beach full of 200 tourists. There's always some jerk who messes with them to ruin it for everybody.
There was also a Monk Seal resting on the beach, and it was super cute.
I chose to go for a little swim in the cove. The water was crystal clear and I didn't even need my snorkel gear to see the fish swimming around me. Beautiful! Norwood chose to actually snorkel around the reef, and enjoyed himself quite a bit.
After I swam, I spent a bit of time just hanging out on the beach and resting, tourist watching, and sketching a little. I did end up getting slightly sunburned, but thankfully my skin seems to handle sunburns well, and they quickly turn into tans. I should be fine by tomorrow or the day after, it's not that bad of a burn.
We cruised around a bit and stopped at the Kauai Coffee Company for some coffee sampling. We liked quite a few of the flavors, but decided on just ordering some online when we get home because it would be a lot to pack in our bags, and we still have some coffee for morning use on the rest of our trip.
After that, we explored a bit more of the Southeast side of the island by car, stopped at the Meneheune Fish Pond, and cruised around the Nawiliwili area before heading to the Safeway in Kapaa for some supplies for dinner.
After we got home, we cooked up some Teriyaki Gardenburgers with fresh pineapple, tomatoes, and lettuce, accompanied by salad with Papaya Wasabi Dressing and Mustard Potato Salad. YUM! I made it and it was soooooo good. I might just have to start making that at home too, so my dinners can remind me of Hawaii.
Now we're just resting and getting ready to watch some more Harry Potter on TV before we turn in for the night. They have been showing all the Harry Potter movies on TV while we've been here, hahaha....so every night we've watched it after coming home for the night.

Tomorrow will hold more adventures for us, I'm excited!!!
Kauai