Kayaking and Hula...who could ask for more?

Kauai Travel Blog

Today we kayaked the Wailua River and hiked to Secret Falls via a trail that starts where you dock the kayaks. It was beautiful out on the river, a warm, sunny day, and we were surrounded by gorgeous jungle. The falls were, of course, gorgeous, and we took a dip in the pool at the bottom before hiking back to our kayak so we could paddle around a bit more. We paddled next to a swimming hole, which wasn't that exciting, but it was nice to swim around a bit and cool off. Plus there were little fish there that were entertaining to watch.
On our way back to the starting point, we got into a race with some old guys, but Norwood is too competitive and we beat them back to the kayak place. My arms were screaming in pain from kayaking so vigorously, but it was definitely fun to race old guys.
After we turned in our kayak, we stopped at TC's Island Grill again for some lunch and were lucky to catch the free hula show that they were having in the Coconut Marketplace Pavillion while we ate. It was a hula school with children of all ages, but my favorite was the really little girl who looked confused half the time, but was stoked about performing for all these people.
I loved their costumes and took some great pictures of them while they danced, and was inspired to take up hula lessons myself once more after I get back to Carlsbad. A year ago I took a few lessons there but my schedule didn't permit me to continue doing it, but my schedule is different now so I think I could fit it in :)
We stopped at an Ace Hardware Store and Craft Store all in one (strange, I know) and bought a larger pad of Bristol Paper. I think it would be cool to do some art while we are here, and though we did bring sketchbooks, it would be nice to work on an actual piece a little bit.
After that, we stopped at the Big Save and bought a pineapple (I'm chewing through the pineapples like there's no tomorrow), some bread, and some coffee, the other thing we are chewing through.
We're home now, but I think we're going to head down to the Sheraton Resort in Poipu and hang out in the jacuzzi a little bit before bed tonight.

P.S.
Went out again to check out the jacuzzi and discovered that it is only open until 9pm...so we will have to do that a different night. However, while we were out we checked out Spouting Horn at night (way cooler at night...we had it all to ourselves, and the waves were bigger than last time so the water shot really, really high), and then headed over to Poipu Beach to walk on the beach at night and check out the stars. The stars here are incredible! You can see every star in the sky, including the Milky Way. I know that might not be too exciting for some, but living in Southern California, land of light pollution, it is a rare treat to see such a thing. I wish I could have taken a picture of it, but alas, my little Canon Powershot isn't up to the task. Anyway, we walked around on the beach and it was really, really dark...hard to see, in fact. We had to take careful steps to avoid eating it spectacularly. There was a party of people in one of the picnic areas playing guitars and singing, so we enjoyed them as well. I doubt they even knew we were enjoying them because it was so dark, so we were enjoying them like creepy stalkers enjoy things. Still, awesome.
After Poipu we headed home and went to bed...because it was pretty late.
Aloha for now!
Luau Kalamaku was my first luau, and it was a lot of fun! I was a bit hesitant at first because I'm not into really cheesy touristy stuff, but I do love hula and fire dancing and I have been dying to try some poi. Plus, there's not much to do in the evening in Kauai so we thought it would be a fun thing to do one night. This luau is held at the Kilohana Sugar Plantation. When we arrived, we got lei'd (he he) and walked around and checked out some cool booths with the work of local artists. I got a hand carved turtle necklace straight from the artist, and Norwood got a cool spiral necklace from the same guy. After we had walked around a bit, we got some drinks from the bar and sat down at our table with some fresh pineapple. It reminded me a bit of a wedding because we were sat at a table with 6 other people. We sketched a bit while we were waiting for the show began and watched some hula dances and a Hawaiian music band perform. Then it was time for the buffet. I was happy because they had a lot of vegetarian dishes, and I also tried to poi. It wasn't too bad. Everybody says it's terrible but I thought it was fine.
After dinner (of which I ate too much...the curse of the buffet), it was time for the show to begin. The show was actually quite awesome. It was a theatrical production that told the story of the Tahitians and their journey to the Hawaiian islands. The dancing and music was excellent. There were even some amazing fire dancers. I had an awesome time and really enjoyed the experience. Fun night!
Kauai