Kauai

Kauai Travel Blog

Over the next 2 weeks, I will be journaling about my trip here. Stay tuned for tales of our adventures!

It is currently 8:30am here in Kauai and I have had a restful morning so far. We arrived in Lihue yesterday after a very long day of airports, planes, and a particularly long layover at the Honolulu airport. Still, I was immediately captivated by Kauai before I even stepped off the plane. As we landed on the airport runway, I was greeted with spectacular land formations and lush vegetation. There really is no way to describe it other than to say that it takes your breath away.
Upon arrival, we got our little rental car (the cheapest one...still quite expensive!) and headed over to the town of Kalaheo, our home for the next 2 weeks.
Rather than staying at a big luxury resort, we chose to rent a small apartment from a couple in a neighborhood. We are staying in the Ti-Room Suite (http://www.vrbo.com/53989 for more pictures/information). We decided to do this not only for the obvious financial benefits of choosing a small vacation rental over a resort, but also because it gives us more of a feel for life on Kauai. It gets us more in touch with what life is like as a local (minus having to go to work, of course).
Anyway, we arrived last night and drove through a maze of vegetation to find our little apartment. Needless to say, I am thankful for the GPS on my iPhone :)
In Kauai, every turn you take on a road leads to a new spectacular view.
Every square inch of this island is covered in plants. It truly is the garden island. There are countless animals as well. The strangest, of course, being the wild chickens and roosters that are absolutely everywhere. I knew about this before my arrival, of course, but it is still hilarious to see them running around everywhere. I will have to take a picture at some point.
Last night we were pretty tired after our long journey, so after settling in and unpacking, we went to the Big Save (local grocery store), stocked up on food (since we will be cooking most of our meals at home to save money...though we do plan to eat out and sample some local Hawaiian cuisine a few times), came home and passed out after dinner.
I awoke this morning at 6am (we are 3 hours behind, so it was 9am at home...a fact that I will find useful on this trip since I'm really not a morning person but wish to start my days early so I can enjoy more of the day).

Waking up here is peaceful, majestic, and absolutely beautiful. I awoke and stepped outside onto the balcony and was taken back by the experience of it all. The sun was rising, and it had obviously rained recently, as the world around me was covered in a cool, pleasant mist. The colors of the sky were gorgeous pastels that became brighter and more spectacular as the sun climbed higher and higher into the sky. Then there were the sounds. A rooster crowing in the distance. Various birds chirping and tweeting. The sound of the wind rustling the trees and bushes. Incredible. While at home I am usually greeted by our neighbor smoking on her balcony and crowing into her cell phone, here I am greeted by nothing but the soft sounds of the island. There is only one thing that is for certain: I will probably cry in 2 weeks on the day I have to leave this place.

As for today, we don't really have any plans. Our plan is to explore and do whatever we feel like doing, because isn't that what it's all about?
traveller142009 says:
Congrats on your feature and sharing about Kauai. I spent Christmas in Hawaii last year but did not make it to Kauai. From your blog, I definitely will have to make it there next time...great photos too!
Posted on: Jul 26, 2010