An Eventful Day

Kauai Travel Blog

The title says it all: today was an eventful day. I woke up early and watched the sun rise while Norwood continued to sleep for another hour or so. We were still a bit tired from traveling, so we relaxed for a good part of the morning. I had a home cooked breakfast taco (made by yours truly on the hot plate) and some absolutely delicious coffee from the Kauai Coffee Company (I will have to remind myself to bring some of it home, because it's good).
We decided to spend today exploring and getting our bearings, so we headed off in the direction of the town of Kalaheo (our home base, but we wanted to see what was in town) and then continued on to Poipu. We first headed over to the famous Spouting Horn.
'This natural wonder occurs when water rushes under a lava shelf and bursts through a small opening at the surface. Every wave produces another spray. Spouting Horn frequently spurts salt water 50 feet into the air', or so I've heard. I don't think it spouted quite that high today, but it was still neat.
After we stared at that for a little while, we headed over to check out Poipu Beach. Although it seemed like a nice beach to visit, it was raining quite a bit by this time so we decided to come back at another time. We did, however, get to see an endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal sleeping on the beach, so it was worth the trip! We drove down Poipu road a bit, just checking out the town. It was a beautiful area, but very touristy. We stopped into the Hyatt Resort just to check it out.
The grounds were beautiful and it was quite impressive, but I realized just how glad I was to be staying away from the touristy areas when I became thirsty and had to pay $8 for a bottle of water at the Hyatt. Yes, you read that correctly: $8. Just last night we went to the Big Save and bought a 2 gallon jug of water for less than half that, but the resorts like to charge what I call a "convenience fee". Other than that, I enjoyed walking around the grounds of the Hyatt. (Well, except for when I was waiting for the bathroom and a baby screamed so loud right into my was waiting in line next to me...that my ear rang for a good 10 minutes afterward).
We next decided to just see where the road took us, and headed east along the coast. We eventually found a dirt road and decided to follow it.
The road went on for quite some time, and at times became very rough. There were times when I was not sure our little economy car could make the journey, but it proved that it was the little engine that could, and got us all the way to the dirt parking area at the end of the road. We walked down a path only to find a very nice surprise: we had found our way to Kawailoa Bay, a beautiful little gem of a beach that, to my pleasant surprise, did not have many people on it except for a few locals walking dogs. We walked up the beach for quite a while and watched large sand crabs run and hide in their holes along the way. The weather was perfect and the scenery was absolutely beautiful.
After walking down the beach, we decided to head in the other direction and hike along the rocky shoreline path, which provided us with some spectacular views.
The end of the path opened up onto a beautiful bay full of jagged igneous rocks, sparkling blue waters, and gorgeous hills in the background.
After we took in the view, we hiked back to the beach area and took a refreshing dip in the ocean. The water was just the right temperature.

We weren't ready to quit exploring just yet, so we then headed north to Kapaa, where we stopped for a delicious dinner at TC's Island Grill. I had a delicious Aloha Veggie Burger with teriyaki and pineapple, accompanied by a salad with papaya vinaigrette. It was really, really good. Feeling refreshed, we headed up for a quick view of the Wailea River and Secret Falls. We plan on renting a kayak and exploring this area more sometime later this week, but for today we just took a peek.
Amazing! I can't wait to come back. At the lookout point, we were entertained by a few Hawaiian hippies having a lively drum circle as well as countless wild chickens running around and doing what chickens do best, which is being hilarious.

To end our day, we took a cruise down the highway towards the West side of the island in order to catch the sunset. We ended up pulling over to the side of the road along the coast in order to watch the golden sun set over the Pacific, with views of Niihau (the forbidden island) in the distance.
photo by: hauteboy