Snorkeling at Phi Phi Ley.

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

Next day the baby squids were still there so the sea didn’t have its normal attraction. We spent quite some time in the new swimming pool which was today open for the first time. Whilst having our late afternoon drink on the veranda we were chatting to a young German couple from the bungalow next door and they were enthusing about the snorkel trip they had just returned from at Phi Phi Ley. Amongst many other species, they had seen turtles. This would be a first for us at Phi Phi, so we decided that to-morrow we will go snorkelling at Phi Phi Ley. I wandered along to the gypsy village and arranged to hire a longtail and driver for six hours next day and agreed a price of 2000baht. For this price we could have taken two other couples with us and shared the cost but we prefer the freedom of being just us.

After a light breakfast we set off at around 8.00. It took around 50 minutes to reach Pileh Bay, a small lagoon on the east coast of the island. It was pretty much deserted with I think only one other longtail in the bay. Entrance to this bay is only possible at low tide and you have to duck as the longtail goes through a hole in the rocks.

We only stayed here for half an hour or so experiencing nice but routine snorkelling and enjoying the lovely setting.

We then headed on to Pileh Wall which is where our German friends had seen the turtles and is about five or ten minutes by longtail. We had a great time here for about an hour, but no sign of any turtles. We encountered loads of black tip reef sharks, a couple of leopard sharks, various types of moray eels, (some of them are really ugly) and loads and loads of multi-coloured fishes of all shapes and sizes. I can’t find the words to adequately describe the beauty of snorkelling around Phi Phi. The water is just so beautifully clear and the colours of everything are breathtaking. I can swim in these waters day after day after day, and never tire of it. We’ve only been home for around a week and already I’m looking forward to our next visit. Every snorkelling session brings new experiences and sights. I just never tire of it, catching a glimpse of a completely different world. We moved on to Loh Samah Bay and finally to Maya Bay. A great day in the sea, but sadly, no turtles.

To-night the resort put on a special dinner for Chinese New Year. They transformed the restaurant and the staff put together, a great show with Chinese music, dancing and a very nice buffet.

I won’t dwell any longer on the Phi Phi section of this trip other than to say that our ten days just flew by. I know that will be too long for many people, but I could easily have stayed longer. Maybe one day I will have had my fill, but for now…….I just can’t wait to return to Laem Tong Bay, Phi Phi.

Next stop Bangkok.