Cairo - the anticipation begins.

Chicago Travel Blog

Let's start packing!

Of course, for the ardent traveler, the weeks leading up to the actual trip are just as exciting. Nine days in Egypt is not enough to cover these places, all of which I initially hoped to see:

• Cairo
  • Luxor
  • Aswan
  • Alexandria
  • Siwa

Such is my dilemna. So I have two options:

Option 1: Cairo to Aswan and back to Cairo
Option 2: Cairo to Siwa and possibly overnight in Alexandria

I would like to spend at least 4-5 days in Cairo because of the sheer number of interesting places to see. Pyramids in Giza, Islamic Cairo, Downtown Cairo and museums, countless evenings at ahwas, shopping the souks. I'm not even sure if five days is enough - Big Ol' Cairo thinks she deserves more time than that. So, I will call this trip "A Taste of Egypt", owing to the fact that this is just about as whirlwind as it can get. And if I like it there in Egypt, then that will merit an excuse for another trip!

As for my itinerary options, I am leaning more towards Option 2 because of the numerous positive reviews about the Siwa Oasis. However, the two most interesting things I like about Aswan are the scenic felucca experience along the Nile and its interesting souk. I am hopeful that someone who has been to Egypt reads this article and sends me their feedback. Shukran in advance.

So this is the beginning of my Egyptian journey. Everything always starts from home...

Soukshopper says:
Thanks for your helpful comments, I appreciate it! I'll have to rethink my itinerary, :-)
TravellingAuntie says:
PS because of your limited time, I would fly everywhere. Taking the trains is a nice way to see the country but the trains are not that nice (although they make for good stories) and with flying you could hit the ground running.
TravellingAuntie says:
We spent 2 weeks (didn't see Siwa) and one of the 5 of us thought Aswan was his favorite place - because it's so green & quiet. My favorite was Luxor. I personally think 3 days would be enough in Cairo - you'd have time to hit everything on your list and enjoy the ahwas and shopping. You wouldn't have time to see Memphis and the older pyramids in 3 days - so if they're on your list, add a 4th!

Let's start packing!

• Siwa

Such is my dilemna. So I have two options:

Option 1: Cairo to Aswan and back to Cairo
Option 2: Cairo to Siwa and possibly overnight in Alexandria

As for my itinerary options, I am leaning more towards Option 2 because of the numerous positive reviews about the Siwa Oasis. However, the two most interesting things I like about Aswan are the scenic felucca experience along the Nile and its interesting souk. I am hopeful that someone who have been to Egypt reads this article and sends me their feedback. Shukran in advance.