Just to get out for the day

Visalia Travel Blog

With temperatures well into the 90s it was a good day for a trip to the mountains.  It's always cooler up at the higher elevations and the relief from the heat would be a nice welcome benefit.  Even with gas prices at $3.45 per gallon it's worth it.  Remember, I drive a hybrid so I get much better mileage.

So we grabbed a couple of bottles of water, the camera, and extra batteries and head off for the southern end of Sequoia National Forest.  Don’t mistake this for Sequoia National Park, they are separate and different.  This area is just south on the Sierra Nevada range of mountains from the National Park.  Not quite the same trees as in the Park.

It takes about a half hour to get from Visalia to Porterville, which is the bottom of the hills from where we are going.  From there we will climb the foothills through Springville and then on up into the Forest.

boxinbcn says:
I forgot to add that the next time you're up at Ponderosa, drive to Dome Rock - if my memory is correct it's not even a mile. You have to walk the last part but the view is spectacular.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2007
boxinbcn says:
I spent almost every summer in Camp Nelson while growing up in the late 60's and 70's. My parents still have a place up there and my Grandma still lives in Exeter. Looking at your pictures and reading about the day trip sure brings back a lot of memories!
Posted on: Sep 10, 2007