Rejang River boatride

Kapit Travel Blog

Rajang murky river

Every half an hour or so during the overnight bus trip I was awaken by its movement and turning, the bus were driven at the centre of single carriage empty road. Felt wary about the speed and the driver’s skilled. A month ago there was horrifying fatal double decker bus accident in North South Expressway in Peninsula Malaysia, that I became guarded, I wanted to move to the back seat. In the end I stayed at the same seat until reaching Sibu. Pheeww I didn’t wake up at the hospital bed the next morning!

So we headed to Sibu Jetty looking if there’s express boat to Kapit. So we purchased express boat tickets for 9 am slot arriving at noon. Kapit the transit town by Batang Rajang River is a commercial and social center for the middle Rajang River catering to the longhouse communities and timber camps.
Transit town from Sibu to the remote
It is an excellent base for exploring nearby longhouses. Gerrit, the only one with guide book, suggested we walk around Kapit town before deciding the best place to stay. The first midrange hotel seems have a big room and cheap BUT windowless! Second one too pricey for our liking then the last one Rajang Inn, seems to be just nice albeit smaller than the too. The twin bed with extra mattress cost us RM90 (€20). Dumped our backpack and had lunch, after that had a look at Fort Sylvia Building, the fort built by Rajah Charles Brooke- the founder of Kapit. Charles Brooke was the last White Rajah - a dynasty that founded and ruled the Kingdom of Sarawak.

It was called Kapit fort, later renamed to be Fort Sylvia after the consort of White Rajah Sylvia Leonora, Lady Brooke, Ranee of Sarawak.
Fort Sylvia Kapit
The fort as declared as a historical monument and now converted to be a museum. It exhibits a collection of ethnic arts and handicrafts and documents relating to the history of Kapit, heirloom jars, brass cannons, brass plaques and photographs of past community leaders.

Felt sleepy and tire we headed back to the Hotel. Two of us felt asleep for hours that Gerrit woke up and left us sleeping to see Chinese temple. He didn’t want to disturb our sleep that he managed to sneak out not once but twice while we were sleeping. Hahaha sorry man! I was knackered, don’t know from what. So I woke up at the dawn, disoriented and guilty knowing my buddy done a bit of sighseeing while I was doze up. We went out to have our dinner and were approached by local Kapit boy. He just wanted to show us around as we were read as screaming travelers. Later Andol joined us having dinner at the local food stall. A warm conversation with the real local, then we off to karaoke bar suggested by Andol. It was one of tacky karaoke bars I’ve been to, the last time I went was nearly 7 years ago. Karaoke bars are pretty much a big thing in South East Asia. Andol showed his vocal talent, sang couple of songs. I picked one song to sing but it was dreadful to wait my turn. So we left without the entire guest hearing my vocal talent.

Rajang murky river
Transit town from Sibu to the remo…
Transit town from Sibu to the rem…
Timber shed