Oh Indon ! you're full of money grubber

Senggigi Travel Blog

Mas Kardi Bakso and 2 wheeled horse cart

Disclaimer: You won’t find any useful info in this, only rant. So go away if you’re likely getting sentimental.

Why is it from one agent office to the other, the price ranging enormously? I don’t understand Indonesian Tourism department. Either they are remotely poor English that every shop you encounter listed them as ‘Tourist Information’ in-fact they are ‘Tour Agent’ the regular money grubbing machines (mislead on the get go) OR they just hating foreigner that no foreigner deserve the same treat as local. What’s up with the hostility? To my Indonesian friends I do not hate you and this is not about you, this is about your fellow countrymen.

I choose to continue the last remaining days by tourist shuttle bus instead of local bus as before because its time consuming on a limited time I have, I heard some regular tourists were paying really cheap for the whole chosen itinerary. But only the time I switched my pace to regular tourist I got fucking ripped off.

Senggigi secluded beach
Days ago I bought shuttle bus for Ubud - Padang Bai - Senggigi Lombok for 160,000 gazillion rupiah. The next day I found the other office sold only 130,000 million rp. And today in the ferry to Lombok, an American couple who were really curious about how much they’d paid only paying 75,000Rp. And local are paying 70% less!!! Choose your own word to describe this.

You bloodsuckers just wait and see. When I’m back into my country and whenever I see any of you walk infront of me and breathing my oxygen, I don’t ask for money I punch you in the face and kick your stinking ass. In the past week I didn’t let getting ripped ruin my trip but it’s getting out of hand.Probably the last time in the region, I do not want to travel in your country that bad.

Many times I pretended to be Indonesian which was working quit well getting similar treat but at the other time I couldn’t be bothered adapting their accent and made a small talk.

Palm trees by the beachside
I just laughed their face off after they knew I paid as local and I’m not Indonesian. Any other time when I told them straight away I’m Malaysian, they quickly bumped-up the price. An utter biased money grubbing machine!

And this part you will find some info..if any.

5 hours by ferry, I feel like 5 years I was stuck from PadangBai Bali ferry to Lombok port. Lombok the immediate east of Bali Island is just separated by Lombok Strait but worlds apart. It’s mellow version of Bali without the hundreds of Temples and women carrying tray of offering on the street. Lombok is looking conservative, deserted a slow pace Island life.

I love this islands where I don’t need to struggle spotting local.

White sandy beach of Senggigi
The shuttle Perama bus which picked me up at the port together with the other 4 tourist drove on the nicely tarmac road to Senggigi passing Mataram town. Comparing it to Bali, I feel it’s far behind, not densely populated and Mataram the capital looks like a seedy town. Hardly recognizing Lombok’s authenticity, the culture and the people that made it Lombok, it’s unlike Bali that synonymously known as Island of God. Java the heartland of Indonesia is recognizable, Lombok is indistinct.

The 2-wheeled horse cart bringing scarf-covered local women and kids is enough to give me the impression.

Bay,Senggigi Lombok
A conservative Islamic Island where call for prayers often heard from local mosque. The warung culture is no different than in Java, I had the famous Bakso Mas Kardi – a landmark direction getting into the homestay written in the Losmen Tjabe Merah direction located at the village of Ampenan. It is a-must-try by the description and it’s proven to be tasty by amount of locals dining and raiding its famous noodle soup. Ampenan located between Mataram and Senggigi, I booked the accommodation days ahead at this Tjabe Merah Losmen for 3 nights. But after one night I left and moved to Senggigi where the facility for traveler is easily found.

herman_munster says:
At that moment any sane person would feel mad but now I 'm cool about it. And the great about this site to vent out easing me during tough time.
jenn79 says:
aww sorry, it sounds tough! =) But your reaction is great "oh you damn money grubbers!" and then let it go =)
herman_munster says:
Glad you found some humour on this :)
Posted on: May 04, 2010
Mas Kardi Bakso and 2 wheeled hors…
Mas Kardi Bakso and 2 wheeled hor…
Boats tucked to the beach