No cats around

Kuching Travel Blog

DUN building swallowed by dragon

I had never been to East Malaysia or Malaysian Borneo which comprises of Sarawak and Sabah State. An anticipated trip of two became 3. I flew from Changi Airport to Kuching with a friend who relocating in Singapore from Ireland and we met with another buddy Gerrit at Kuching Airport. Gerrit my Capetonian buddy I met during my South African trip last year was on his South East Asia trip Borneo leg. We tailored our trip to be coinciding at Borneo part.
An afternoon of wandering around Kuching city and waterfront before a night bus to Sibu.

Kuching or Cat (in English) though there no direct derivation from cat itself is a very laid-back city. We strolled down along Kuching waterfront or Esplanade and a 50 cent boat ride we crossed the river. The Malay Villages on the other side of Sarawak River is the closest local scene in town. I was feeling very sleepy as the night before was a mess, found a timber shed and relaxed for hours before made our way back across the river for dinner. There were couple of museum in the vicinity but we only visited Tua Pek Kong Chinese Temple.

Kuching locals were unexpectedly very friendly and welcoming. My perception certainly changes. Malaysian from Peninsula Malaysia can be rude and harsh but Sarawakian was different in my opinion. They were smiling and saying hello casually.

Kuching by Sarawak River