Tea and Cigarettes

Cairo Travel Blog

Today we made sure to wake up early and take advantage of the free breakfast. They had an omelet guy down there so that immediately gave the whole operation credibility in my book. On top of that they had a buffet that included hard boiled eggs, pita bread, cucumbers, tomatos, various cheeses, falafel, and some sweet pastries. I was smashing at this breakfast and was happy that we were staying one more day so I could eat the breakfast again.
After breakfast we didn't have much planned so we decided to chill around the hotel for the day. Joe was gonna chill in the room so I figured I might as well go wander the city for the afternoon and see what was happening. I checked out some carry out type stores and filled up on the necessities then came across an internet cafe.
the Sheraton Cairo
So I spent some time checking the web and bs'n with friends. The internet was very cheap to use especially coming from Koh Phi Phi and Ms Lee's operation. I proceeded to walk towards the Nile and while I was waiting at the corner was approached by a nice man. He introduced himself as Aladin- "like the magic carpet". He eventually led me to his friends shop for some tea, cigarettes, and conversation. I arrive at a decent enough looking place and meet his friend who says no pressure to buy anything. We enjoyed some tea, a good amount of weird conversation, and a lot of smokes for about a half hour. Then as we were now friends he offered that I look around his shop. I did need to purchase some souvenirs as I had been slacking on this aspect. I bought a couple of papayrus things from my new friend and everyone was thrilled. It was a good practice in bargaining- one thing that I had been improving at throughout the trip. It was now getting close to dinner time so I again hit up the schwarma guy around the corner for some delicious grub. I followed that up with some more tea with the shop guys across from our hotel- here their really was no pressure to buy, just tea. They did offer to take me to a place with belly dancers but I declined opting to save that money. Another neighborhood guy was there trying to get us all to come to a "real egyptian" bar down the street with cheap beers- the guys at the shop said that was a bad idea so I declined. I would end up drinking a couple beers up on the roof of the King Hotel, again there wasn't too much going on up on the roof. We were going to get up early and catch a bus to Israel in the morning.
photo by: vulindlela