Getting in Cambodia

Siem Reap Travel Blog

thats a full cab

Joe and I left for Cambodia Sunday morning at 7am; our mini bus was not filled up so that was a good thing. There were only 5 peeps on it, Joe, I, a Chinese lady and a German couple. The ride to the border wasn’t bad at all. Once we got there we just followed our guide, he was all right at this time. So once we crossed through the various checkpoints we had to decide whether to take a taxi or wait for the big bus to fill up- we paid 300 baht a piece to take a 2hr  cab ride.

Although once we got to that point they were going to put Joe, I , and the German couple into 1 cab but what about the Chinese lady? She spoke no English and the Cambodian guide was yelling at her- we couldn’t leave her in no man’s land, so we all crammed into one small cab.

Raa and his Wife and I

Four people in the back and two in the front, it was a long ride but we were heroes to that Chinese woman. So we finally arrived to the No Problem Villa, it is a top notch hostel. Great staff, good rooms, and good location. All that you could want in a hostel. So after the long day I decided to start drinking some Angkor beer- great idea.

One of the guys who run the hostel, Raa asked me if I wanted to come to the bus stop and wrangle up tourist to fill the rooms- hell yeah I did. So we rode there and waited for the buses as we waited we chilled with Raa's crew and ate Khmer food and drank Cambodian wine. The wine was strong and the food exotic- cow liver and eggs with baby ducks in them- oh my. The buses arrived and we scored a couple tourist so that was cool.

tuk tuk driver party

I finally felt how the touts who are always hassling me  do, pretty weird.

Raa and I came back to the hostel and picked Joe- we were on our way to a house/hut party. Joe was a bit apprehensive as he had not been drinking but was still down. We rode with a crew of tuk tuk drivers and eventually made it to the party spot. It was like nothing I had seen in my life.  SO much food and beer it was no stop- Karaoke was jamming- and everyone’s wives were serving up the food. The Grandma and Grandpa were there and seemed happy to see us, it was a straight up piece of Cambodian living. I felt privileged to be there and very welcomed. By the end of the night i had been in too many beer drinking contest and eaten so much food. They had fish, cow liver, oysters, and the list went on and on. We all sat on the ground Indian style but Joe being as large as he is and having a bad knee had a hard time, so Grandma grabbed him a plastic chair, actually two and put them on top of one another so not to break them. After a lot of dancing I had to finish out the party sleeping in the back of a tuk tuk. Not a bad first day in Cambodia.

tuk tuk driver party
Joe with our host
Joe with our host
Siem Reap Hotels & Accommodations review
Some Problems
My friend and I stayed here in Feb/March 10 for four days while visiting Angkor Wat. It is a quality operation. We got a air con room with 2 beds, cab… read entire review
Siem Reap