Football and Seeds

Rome Travel Blog

Having missed our flight we had a Saturday to hang out in Rome. Joe had been hyping up the Derby- a football match between Manchester United and Manchester City, this was going on today so our objective was to find a pub and watch the match. I had remembered seeing a sign advertising a pub that had all sports on, only thing was I couldn't remember the name or where the sign was located. The nice thing about Rome was that on the streets you will see signs advertising for places but they will also include directions indicating how many meters away. The signs are usually not far from the place, I imagine they do this on account of all the small winding streets and hidden treasures down them. One thing we did know was it was downtown so we jumped on the H bus and got downtown.

We started walking up Via del Corso and soon enough saw the sign for the Trinity College Irish Pub- the sign pointed us to the left and then we were there with pints in hand. The pub was filled up considering it was still the afternoon but this was a big match. The crowd consisted mostly of English folks , two guys we were sitting with at the bar also had their flights home canceled due to the volcano. We ended up drinking many pints- Man U won, Joe wasn't happy as he was rooting for Man City.  We stayed to watch some more EPL and enjoy the atmosphere as the pub had really filled up. This place was defiantly a good find and somewhere we might come back to for football action. We took off from the pub to wonder the streets, we ended up finding a Burger King and it had been a while since we ate any American fast food(the Phuket Airport), so we went in and put in work.
From there is was time to head back to the hotel- we found our way back to the bus stop and waited for the H bus.

Upon returning to the Il Castelletto we were met by Georgia the Romanian girl who seemed to do everything at the hotel, she was hanging out with a few of her friends, all Romanian girls. They were just sitting in the courtyard eating sunflower seeds and talking so I decided I would join them. We sat around talking and eating seeds, it was a pretty weird situation. In America guys are really the only ones who eat sunflower
seeds but here I was in Italy crushing sunflower seeds with a group of Romanian girls. Eventually some Romanian dudes arrived and whisked their ladies away from the drunken American. The day turned out to be a pretty good day and I didn't even care a bout not knowing when we'd be able to depart.

photo by: vulindlela