Cu Chi Tunnels and HCMC nights

Cu Chi Travel Blog

Mr Son our tour guide and Jody
Today we decided to take the tour of the Cu Chi Tunnels- we would leave around 8am so we laid low the night before and got to bed early. We took the hotel transport. It was Joe, Jody(a nice australian girl) and I along with our hotel guy X-man for short. It was about an hour long ride through some little towns before we arrived at the area. The tour started with a video giving you the Vietnam side of the story, one that as an american i had not been given before. The video was really sad and showed how young children were forced into battle just to protect their land. Words like "american killer hero" and "crazy devils" were used to describe the americans, it was an eye-opening movie. We then went on the tour- they had many shells of the bombs that remained on display. The tunnels were amazing- we went into one and crawled down two levels and could have gone down to a third but I had to bail out, it was just way to small and dark for me. I was really sweating and my heart was beating pretty fast, I had never been in anything like that. I also paid to shoot an M60 machine gun and that too was a first as I had never shot any type of gun before, and it was crazy loud. The tour also included some steamed sweet potatoes with tea like the soldiers ate, not bad. At the end I tried some snake wine- from a bottle with a cobra inside, it too was not bad. Overall i would say do the tunnel tour and if you can take the crawl through the actual tunnels.

When we returned to the hostel we made plans to go out later with Jodi and get some drinks.
First though we'd take some naps. I woke up and crossed the mega crazy street to the shopping center and bought a large box of San Miguel beer, they all turned out to be tall boys. We started drinking those and then Jodi joined us for some pregame action before we took off. We rolled out and decided to catch a cab out on the street but we wanted to cross, so that the cab would already be heading in the right direction. While crossing a guy on a motor bike must have thought Joe was walking at a different pace and barely hit him, they both saw each in time to avoid an ugly collision. That was exactly how I thought that would go down- crossing these streets was insane. We got in a cab and had him take us down to an area with some bars and Eventually got to drinking and playing some Jenga, loser was buying shots. We met a guy from Michigan in the first bar and he ended up rolling with us for the rest of the night. He was pretty wild and when we arrived at a club that accepted credit/debit cards he went crazy on buying shots. He was spending like a mad man. We stayed out pretty late with everybody leaving on their own and finding our way back to the Huong Viet.
tight fit