AfricaEgyptTaba

Crossing the Border

Taba Travel Blog

Our crew crossing into Israel

Once the bus dropped us off we had to do a bit of walking. While on the bus we had met a guy from Uruguay and another from South Africa, both on the same path as us, so we decided we’d all do the border thing together. First we were off to the Egyptian Border crossing to get checked out of the country- we had to pay a very small fee for a sticker of some sort. I only had big bills left and caused a stir when they had to find change, so save some small pounds for the border. Then after that we had to walk to the Israel border crossing and answer their questions. They didn’t have too many for me, but the rest of our crew caught the third degree from the border folks.

waiting for a bus to Tel Aviv
We ended up being there for about 45 minutes and Daniel the South African did not make it through. We asked one of the border agents about his status and she said not to wait for him. We all felt really bad for him- I hope they eventually let him in as he had quite the vacation planned. So the three of us caught a cab into Eilat and decided to take the next bus to Tel Aviv. Looking back at things we probably should have stayed in Eilat for a night and caught the morning bus to Tel Aviv, but instead we were on the 9:30pm bus to Tel Aviv. We had a few beers at a carryout and decided we might as well buy a bottle of vodka for the 5 hr bus ride- an all right idea. We arrived in Tel Aviv around 2am and proceeded to go out and try to find whatever bars were open and we did find a couple that stayed open very late. Needless to say we had a very long day and I ended mine wandering the streets quite early in the morning looking for breakfast. I eventually found a diner where the workers all spoke Spanish and insisted on giving me a shot of tequila as an appetizer, so I did that and ate - the weirdness continues.

Taba