A shopping list of a different kind
Wabeno Travel Blog› entry 2 of 8 › view all entries
Now that I have a plane ticket in hand, or at least floating around in cyberspace, itâ€™s time to start figuring out what I want to do, where I want to go and how Iâ€™m going to get from Point A to Point B. The only things that Iâ€™m certain on are being in specific cities on specific dates to coincide with my match tickets. As of right now, I have tickets to the following matches:
Match 2: France vs. Uruguay, June 11th, Cape Town
Match 16: Spain vs. Switzerland, June 16th, Durban
Match 58: Quarterfinal, July 2nd, Johannesburg
I have also arranged to buy a ticket for the US vs. England from another American, but itâ€™s a crapshoot if Iâ€™ll be able to use it, because we canâ€™t get the ticket transferred into my name and if they check ID, Iâ€™ll be screwed. Regardless, I will be in Rustenburg for the match.
Iâ€™ve been doing a lot of planning in the month since I bought my plane ticket, which included a flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg on the morning of the 12th. I have already reserved hostels in Cape Town from the 3rd-11th, Rustenburg for the 12th and Durban for the 15th-18th. In addition to finding a pillow to attach my head to, Iâ€™ve been putting together a rough itinerary and a list of the places I want to see the most.
As of right now, this is my current list of the places/sights I want to see:
1. Robben Island--Nelson Mandela is an amazing person and a huge inspiration for me
2. Cape Agulhas--the southern-most point of Africa, where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet
3. Kruger National Park--can I see the big 5, pretty, pretty please?
4. Oribi Gorge Nature Reserve
5. Winelands--some friends of mine have a friend that owns a winery in South Africa, yeah, I wonâ€™t pass up that chance
6. Drakensberg Mountain Range
7. The Garden Route--the town of Knysna is very appealing
8. Soweto--township outside of Johannesburg that the struggle of Apartheid played out in
9. Whale watching--not exactly sure if Iâ€™m there during a good time for this
10. Isicathamiya competitions--Saturday nights in Durban and Johannesburg, this is the type of music competition that Ladysmith Black Mambazo got its start at
11. The massive Baobab Tree that has a bar in it--caught wind of this from another Travbuddy
12. The Palace of the Lost City
13. Victoria Falls--yes, Iâ€™m aware this isnâ€™t in South Africa, but itâ€™s a quick plane ride away
14. Lesotho and Swaziland--countries within a country intrigue me!
I have to read through the multiple guide books that Iâ€™ve purchased, that this list is going to continue to grow and that some sights may move up in importance for me to see. I have a little over 3 months before I embark on this adventure, but I like to think Iâ€™m getting a good head start on the planning.