Beers, Brits and Bolt Cutters

Cape Town Travel Blog

So I've been in Cape Town for a week now.  Hard to believe that the World Cup starts tomorrow and that I leave here Saturday morning!

I got into Cape Town about 17 hours late, thanks to a cancelled flight out of Dulles for mechanical problems.  South African Air put me up at the Hilton for the night.  I can't complain, nicest place I'll stay on this trip!

When I finally got to my hostel Friday afternoon, I discovered 5 British girls complaining incessantly that their 10 Rand nail job (about $1.25) wasn't up to par.  They were 19 years old and were leaving the next day, but they had all of their stuff over the floor of our room.  They were even using my bed's locker as their personal shoe closet.  They were very offended when I asked them to clear it out for me.

Nothing too exciting my first night, just grabbed a bite to eat and a few beers with an Aussie staying in my room.  I've pretty much been playing tourist since then.  I've explored Cape Town, hit up some wineries, attempted to cage dive with Great White sharks and toured Robben Island.  I haven't had a whole lot of time to update the blog, only about 10 minutes a pop online at a time, so this will get updated later on in a little more detail.

Today I'm going to head to the top of Table Mountain, as it's a perfectly clear day, versus the rain and clouds the past few days.  I have to collect my tickets for tomorrow match of France vs. Uruguay and then I'm off to drive on the left side of the road on Saturday, after I fly to Johannesburg and then head to Rustenburg.

As for the bolt cutters, managed to lock the key to my lock inside the locker my first night.  Front desk had the bolt cutters ready to go behind the desk when I asked for them.  Took me a little bit though that they didn't even bother to make sure I was cracking open my own locker!!!

Cape Town