Paris - Day Four

Paris Travel Blog

Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise

We woke up with intentions to take the train out to Versailles for the day but when we arrived at the train station we discovered that May 1st is a holiday in France and the main sights in Versailles were closed so we were unfortunately out of luck. Instead, we took the metro out to the Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise which turned out to be our absolute favorite spot in Paris (and maybe in all of Europe!) We spent a good four or more hours wandering along the small lanes and visiting the graves of Oscar Wilde, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf and others. I think the reason we loved it so much is that, even though we knew it was filled with tourists, we often had entire areas to ourselves so it was so quiet and peaceful and we often felt as though we were the only ones there.

Jardin du Luxembourg

After reluctantly leaving the cemetary, we headed to the Jardin du Luxembourg where we had a picnic lunch and then settled in to watch some animated older men play boules, a game that involves throwing large metallic balls towards a smaller ball and trying to get it closer than your opponents. I was blowing my nose a lot that day because of my cold and about half way through watching the game I realized that my nose ring had come out as a result. A few seconds after Evan and I got down on the ground to search through the gravel, we realized that all of the men had come over to see if they could help us look for whatever it was we were looking for! Of course, our French is ridiculous and all we could do was say 'petit' and 'nez' and point to my nose so they had no idea what we were doing but one man did give us one of his magnets attached to a rope, which they use so that they don't have to bend over to pick up the balls.

Eiffel Tower
It was so sweet that even though we knew it wouldn't work we still spent a few minutes running it over the gravel before giving it back. Now, who said Parisians aren't kind to tourists?

After the park, we headed to the Rue Cler and picked up some quiche for dinner before continuing on the the Eiffel Tower. The climb up to the second level was absolutely the worst experience ever. Having a cold and sore throat and then straining to breath as you climb up 700+ steps is no easy feat but we did manage to time our visit with the sunset so it made it well worth it. The views over the city as the sun went down and the lights went on was absolutely breathtaking and the perfect way to end our fourth day in Paris.

Paris