AfricaEgyptCairo

Overnight tour in Cairo

Cairo Travel Blog

arriving in alexandria!
This was the day I had been waiting for for so many months. Actually, for most of my life :D (i know, cheesy).. I finally made it to Egypt! (yay) the number 1 place on my bucket list since i was a kid. Our ship docked in Alexandria, and we had arranged an overnight tour with a local company Nile Blue, and had recruited a group of people from our cruise to join us so that the price was cheaper. There were 14 of us in all and the price was less than half the cost of the similar (but not as comprehensive and completely crowded like a cattle drive) ship's tour. Nile Blue picked us up at the pier right on time, bright and early 7am,  and we left for Cairo in a nice van with 2 very knowledgeable ladies as our tour guides.
First stop was Sakkara, to see the step pyramid, the first type of pyramid, and we went inside the Titi pyramid.
step pyramid at sakkara
this was amazing, there were perfectly preserved hieroglyphics all over the walls, it was like something out of an indiana jones movie. Then on to Dahshur to see the bent, red and black pyramids. Then we had a delicious lunch at a local restaurant and then on to the museum. King Tut's display was one of the many highlights.
After a full day of sightseeing, next on our itinerary was our dinner cruise down the Nile! This was really great, we went with Maxim cruises and the food was fantastic, the bellydancer was excellent, and the whirling dervish was interesting. It was romantic floating down the nile with my boyfriend and seeing all the city lights :D.
Then it was on to the sound and lights show, a laser lights show on the Giza plateau with a voice telling you about Egypt's history.
Initially after watching the thing on u tube, we weren't planning to see it. It looked super cheesy... but once we got there , about half our group decided, why not? we were only there for 2 days, no point in skipping any optional activity.  and i'm really glad we went. It was really the atmosphere that was so special, getting our first glimpse of the stunning Great Pyramids and Sphinx while theyre all lit up for you on a chilly night. It was a lot of fun. So finally off to bed in our Le Meridien hotel, where we got a free upgrade to a pyramid view room. :)
day 2 in Cairo- we woke up to a wonderful view of the great pyramids :D what a great way to start the morning. then we were off to Coptic Cairo. This was one of the highlights of the trip for me. We went to see the gorgeous Hanging Church, wow, the pictures of this place that i saw online prior to the trip don't come close to doing it justice.
our van
we almost left it out of the itinerary and I'm so glad we didn't. What a beautiful place. Then we saw St. Sergius, where the Holy Family is believed to have stayed for a time while they were fleeing to Egypt- also very wonderful.
and then, finally, we were on the way to the Giza Plateau!!! I was so excited to see it, i was worried that my expectations were too high and that i'd be let down... but , not even close! it was one of the best days ever, climbing onto the Great Pyramid and seeing the Sphinx right in front of me, after all those years of seeing it in pictures and movies. We also took a camel ride, that our tour guides arranged for us- we heard that if you try to do it on your own you might get taken advantage of- and that was really fun. Then we had another delicious lunch, stopped by a store for some last minute shopping (oh yeah i ordered a beautiful cartouche silver necklace with my name engraved in hieroglyphics- it was also cheaper than the ones they sold onboard the ship), we looked at some papyrus demonstration thing, and then the drive back to Alexandria to board the ship in time for another wonderful RCCL dinner :D

MelissaBeth says:
Great review, thanks for sharing. I just booked the same Nile Blue excursion this May, and now I'm even more excited after reading your write up.
Posted on: Feb 01, 2012
TravellingAuntie says:
Sounds like a wonderful time. I did not get to see Sakkara & Dashur - so thanks for the pictures
Posted on: Mar 01, 2010
nile cruise
nile cruise
sound and lights show
sound and lights show
view from our balcony at le meridi…
view from our balcony at le merid…
Le Meridien pyramid view room
my camel smiling for the camera
my camel smiling for the camera
Cairo Hotels & Accommodations review
Superb
We stayed at Le Meridien for one nite and were pleasantly surprised at how nice it was! we had a beautiful view of the pyramids from our balcony, and … read entire review
Cairo