Dublin Airport, Girona and finally Empuriabrava!

Empuriabrava Travel Blog

On Saturday morning both Jill and I woke very early and relaxed in the room for the morning. Our flight wasn´t leaving till 4, so I rang reception to ask to extend our check out until 2pm, and this was not a problem. We went down to the hotel bar (also called Kudos, like the restaurant) to get some lunch. I requested a burger I had seen on the room service menu but was told this was not possible which irritated me a bit! I then ordered the Asian wrap, but when I got my food I was actually given a plain chicken wrap. At the time I was just too hungry so I left it go and did with what I was given, but this was definitely the lowpoint of the entire stay, which was otherwise very good!

I left my car at the Clarion for the week, which costs 7 euro a day, which is apparently cheap in comparison to the airport´s long-term car park, which is also further away! We then took the hotel´s free shuttle bus (which leaves every 20 minutes) to the airport. I wish I could give the same praise for the airport as I did the Clarion. It was ridiculously busy, packed and notoriously difficult to navigate around. And once we had checked in, we went to get some food in the airport bar/brasserie, which was in fairness very good. Once we finished eating we made our way to the gate, and at this point we discovered that it was a good 10 minute walk to the gate!

To make things worse when we got there, the area where our gate was located was more of a prefab temporary building than an airport terminal, with no air conditioning and a lot of impatient, sweating people. Other than perhaps Charles De Gaulle, I have never come across anything as bad as it in an airport, and I would recommend anyone to fly through Cork or Shannon if at all possible when visiting Ireland, because Dublin Airport is appaling!

We arrived in Girona on time however and happily made our way to the taxi rank. We got a taxi from Girona to the house in Empuriabrava, costing 86 Euro. While this sounds expensive, it is a decent journey and it is just easier to get a taxi than the bus! The taxi driver had very little English but seeing as I´m learning Spanish and all, my basics got us by just fine!

Empuriabrava was as good as ever, although it was quite windy so we feared the trementana was around. That didn´t stop us from heading over to El Churrasco, an excellent nearby steakhouse, to get our dinner. I will post a review of this restaurant soon, but needless to say it is superb! After dinner we went for a few drinks in the Barazza, a French-owned bar near where we were staying before retiring for the night!

Just a note, please check my Twitter site at www.twitter.com/joelennon for more frequent updates on this trip, as I will be sending updates from my phone to Twitter on a regular basis!

ekthor says:
I know that feeling of being in a temporary prefab building. That's the whole Toluca "international" Airport. hehe
Posted on: Jun 03, 2007
Empuriabrava Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
El Churrasco is a delicious Spanish steakhouse in the seaside town of Empuriabrava, on the northeast coast of Spain. This restaurant is my girlfriend'… read entire review
Empuriabrava General Tips & Advice review
Empuriabrava is a nice seaside town on the northeast coast of Spain. It is about 40 minutes by car from Girona Airport, and about 1hr 45mins from Barc… read entire review
Empuriabrava