A Trip to Subway and the sociological impact of UAE culture

Abu Dhabi Travel Blog

I went to subway today, and was quite astonished.  Subway is an american food chain specializing in big giant sandwiches, and I was formally employed by them when I was 17, in Appalachia ohio.  So I saw one in abu dhabi and knew I had to try it; hell I might ever write a review of it; it was delicious.  However the more interesting thing is the potential inroads of east coast culture into abu dhabi (being on the east coast of the Arabian peninsula adds to the intrigue).

When I went to ordered a group of fat local cell phone toting kids where in front of me.  And wow they were obnoxious.  They screamed at the workers, unwilling to communicate well, demanding all this extra stuff, and just being obnoxious.  These people represent the new face of abu dhabi, fat spoiled kids trying to emulate the culture of the USA.  They spoke perfect english but also had this ridiculous heir of arrogance about them that I could not believe; in fact they acted just like ugly Americans.

What has brought society of UAE to be like this?  My guess is that its like when a poor person wins the lottery, and they don't know what to do with it (see sarah palin).  So they spend, spend, spend, and the result is the modern UAE.  Its a great country, but is losing any native culture it has, I rarely hear arabic spoken.  The cause of this is the influx of foreign workers.  Usually when we have immigrants they learn the local culture and language, instead we have the reverse were the locals are learning the foreign customs.  Its quite odd indeed, and will be interesting to see what the UAE is like in fifty years.

ahtibat17 says:
Interesting observations. Thanks for sharing!
Posted on: Apr 08, 2010