The big walking tour & Madison Square Garden

New York Travel Blog

Had to make another early start from the hostel to meet up with Jerrys grand walking tour.  We all set off for the subway and headed to Brooklyn Heights.  Although there did not seem much specific to see in Brooklyn is seemed like a pretty cool palce to hang out.  Would be great to see some of its nightlife sometime.  After a short stroll we reached the brooklyn side of the brooklyn bridge.  The views were absolutely amazing.  It may have been very cold and windy but this was the best moment of my trip so far.  The bridge itself is so beautiful, however I doubt I passed a single new yorker on the walk across!

Next stop was ground zero which was extremetly removing with the plaques dediacted to the firecrews that died.

The site itself is still very much under construction for the new freedom tower and it did not appear that they had made much progess.  Hopefully it will be a fitting tribute when it is eventually finished.

Another brief walk and we all arrived at wall street, home to the stock exchange and the famous wall street bull.  Jerry was a lovely tour guide, however he did seem to have a unnatural obsession with cake shops.  I lost count of the number of times he stopped at one and then explained in great detail the variety of cakes on offer.  We all came to the conclusion he must be on some sort of cake sale commission!

Our next stop was at the Statten Island ferry which would give us a great view of the Statue of Liberty.  The ferry offers  afree journey to and from Statten Island and offers reasonable free views of the Statue.

I would definately recommend the trip but for the love of god don`t do it in January like me!  The wind chill factor on deck was indescribable and definately the coldest ive ever been.  Great views but far too cold.

After a brief stroll around chinatown it was time for me to leave the tour and head to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks.  I couldn`t resist the option of heiling a cab, ive seen it done countless times in films and now it was my turn.  The Garden is a spectaculour venue and is justified in having its iconic status.  I had bought relatively cheap seats and still had great views of the game.  This was my first NBA game and was very impressed and not just because of the gorgeous cheerleaders!  The icing on the cake was the Knicks winning and Dustin Hoffmann being in the crowd, my first celebrity spotting.

Headed back to the hostel still buzzing from an awesome day/

you`ll never know how cold i was
statten island ferry
statten island ferry
my future wife:)
my future wife:)
why can`t they have cheerleaders i…
why can`t they have cheerleaders …
New York