Rockafella Plaza & Times Square

New York Travel Blog

woke up with a blazing hangover which was mainly the fault of my Russian room mate who I had foolishly challenged to a vodka drinking competition the night before.  After grabbing a quick coffee I headed to the subway station which ws just a couple of bloacks from the hostel.  I had been told that the new york underground was very dirty compared to london but found it to be pretty clean.  Despite what you see in the films I could not find any graffitti.

My first stop was too see the empire state building, I had read that it had a rooftop observation deck that offered the best views of the city.  However the early morning queue was excessively long so instead I headed for the Rockafella Plaza.  The plaza is amazing and felt so typically new york with the ice skating ring and the huge christmas tree.

It made me kinda sad that I had not been here for christmas, maybe next year.  I opted to go to the observation deck of the Rockafella Building.  it may not be as tall as the empire state but its still over 80 stories high.  Upon reaching the top, the views were spectacular.  The skyscarpers, central park, cnn building, the empire state building, it was all there.  The best $12 ive ever spent!

I now headed into times square.  I got off the subway at penn station and immediately saw the worls famous madison square garden.  Walking towards times square I passed  another famous venue, Radio City.  Times square itself was a tourist hotspot and still had the remains of the new years celebrations littering the streets.  Despite being a little bit of a tourist trap it still had a great atmosphere.

Next stop was Pier 17 to get a view of the famous Brooklyn bridge.  I`m not sure why but ive always had a bit of a thing for bridges.  I don`t know whether its the architecture of the bridge itself or the usually great views you get when you walk across them but I just love them.  Probably the three most famous bridges in the world are Tower Bridge in London, Golden Gate in San Francisco and the Brooklyn bridge and now i had finally seen all three.

New York Sights & Attractions review
Best place to see the Empire State Building
If you want the best view of the New York skyline including the iconic Empire State Building, then get yourself to the top of the rock. Its pretty ch… read entire review
New York