Let the fun begin

Ireland Travel Blog

Our trip got off to a rocky start ... a Nor'easter was predicted for the day of our departure from the states. I wasn't too worried, the weather men are always wrong. But our tour company decided to change our departure from JFK in New York to Boston. Not a problem, we had a bus to take us there. It was on this bus ride we realized how much fun we were about to have. Our travel companions broke out the Jameson, Brandy, Mimosa and Bloody Mary's before we left Connecticut. We had Irish soda bread, veggie platters and valentines candies being passed around the bus as well. By the time we got to the airport it was like we were traveling with old friends. Our first day in Kilkenny was short. The weather was beautiful and we did a quick tour around the city and ended up at Kytelers Inn.
Kissing the Blarney Stone
A fine old pub that we hated to leave. We were brought back to our hotel, The Newpark Hotel, were I enjoyed their great gym and spa facilities, and then it was back into town to hear some of the Irish music that Kytelers Inn had that night.
The second and third night was spent in downtown Kilarney. Of course we had the obligatory stop to kiss the blarney stone. I would have skipped this but my brothers wouldn't hear of it. The insisted that it was their job to recharge the blarney stone with their kiss, for they are definitely blessed with the gift of gab!
This was my second trip to Ireland, and I actually inquired about a room in The Killarney Avenue hotel, the hotel we were staying at. At the time I thought their rates were rather high. The lobby and dining room of this hotel are very beautiful.
The twins were exhausted after recharging the stone!
The room we had was small and dark and the beds were pretty hard. However the food they served our tour the 2 nights we were there was delicious. No gym here, but you could walk across the street to their sister hotel and use their gym, which was more than adequate.
My last visit to Ireland was very foggy and I really never saw the Ring of Kerry. This bus tour was a blast! Mostly because I shanghaied the best seat on the bus ... the little jump seat in front reserved for the tour leader. Of course I was then obligated to tell a few jokes over the microphone ... and they all went over very well!
Our last night was in Dublin where we stayed in the Maldron hotel. Not the greatest, but the staff was very helpful (All the people working in the service industry in Ireland seem to be Polish)

Kissing the Blarney Stone
The twins were exhausted after rec…
The twins were exhausted after re…
Rock Of Cashel in the background