Antalya

Antalya Travel Blog

Düden Waterfall
We got up early in the morning since the tour bus to Antalya should come at 9.30 a. m. Breakfast as usual and then back to our room, grabbing our stuff and camera and off we went.

The first destination were the famous Düden water falls (Karpuzkaldiran Şelalesi) in Antalya. They are nearly 30 m high and even in autumn, with less water, still impressive. We had a short stop there to take some photos.

The next destination was the hamam in old town Antalya. The tour guide told us that the native people go there, too. So it wasn't a touristic trap ;) Although in the mornings, there were mostly tourists. I bet the native Antalyans like to go in the evening better.
Düden Waterfall
I would have liked that, too. Unfortunately we couldn't switch the time table.

The hamam was old but it was really great. Seperated in a women's and a men's area. First we had to go to the showers, then going into the sauna for at least 10 minutes, showers again. After that we entered the real hamam. You sit down on the warm marble benches, splashing yourself with cold water and wait for the soap massage. When it's your turn you lie down on a huge marble table (there's space for 4 people) and you were treated well by a tellak (masseurs). In our case there were only women working in the women's area and men working in the men's area. But on a different visit in a hamam in Kemer the tellak was male (I learnt that in former times only men did this job).
Düden Waterfall
  She did a great job and I relaxed immediately. She rubbed my whole body from the toes to the head with a kese (glove made from goat hair) and olive soap. After such a peeling your body feels fresh and new. After splashing with cold water you go further to the cooling-room where we relaxed and got a facial treatment. After relaxing for 20 minutes you were guided to a massage room and get a whole body oil massage. In my case she used oil made from roses and I smelled great :D:D The whole procedure was about 2 1/2 hours and I felt new born after it. I can't imagine a stay in Turkey without visiting a hamam.

Before we headed further to the folklore event and dinner at night we had about 3 hours to explore the old town of Antalya or go shopping. We decided to do the sightseeing first since it got dark at 4 p.
Düden Waterfall
m. already. So, we had to hurry.

The old town of Antalya is amazing, especially in the fading light. The narrow streets, lots of shops, the mosques etc. but for me the most beautiful part was the harbour. We found a nice restaurant above the harbour, had a cappuccino and watched the sun setting :D

At 6. p. m. we met up with the other people again and embarked the bus to drive to the restaurant where the folklore event should take place. It was a 30 minutes drive. At first we had dinner. A huge buffet with yummy food was awaiting us. We ordered a dry red wine to the meal and really enjoyed it since we were hungry after an exciting day.

After dinner the show began. At first some traditional dances, like a wedding dance, were shown but the highlight were the belly dancers. At first there was the female dancer but the main part was the male belly dancer. Wow, he was amazing!!!! I never heard about male belly dancers before and was curious about it. And it was really an experience. I can really recommend to attend such a show.

Around 10 p. m. the event came to an end and we headed back to the hotel. We had a last drink in the lobby bar and went to bed exhausted.

aloneinthecrowd says: