Moving Cement

New York Travel Blog

For about a week, Due to the 6 week suspension from the Wind energy project, I have been assisting a few trucks transporting HUGE cement slabs from Pittsfield, MA to the Bronx.

I have worked with this trucking company last December and it was a decent working experience.. The trips are short and I have the benefit of leaving my stuff at one hotel room without having repack everything into my car every morning. Another benefit is that the local work trips like these allow me some time to explore an area a bit instead of just passing through.. Every day we would stop as a group halfway through the trip at a small town diner for a quick dinner and some conversation before heading on.

These cement slabs were delivered at a college parking lot in the Bronx and will be used to build a parking garage for the college.
After a few deliveries I could see how a parking garage would be necessary.. This being my first time ever in the bronx! It was an interesting experience. Due to the city restriction we had to wait until dark to make any deliveries. Usually oversize loads are limited to daylight hours, but there are a few exceptions when oversize loads must move and deliver at night, NYC being one of them. I have never made a night move in NYC and was a bit nervous, but it turned out to be easier than I had expected. in fact I found that people driving in the Bronx were easier to work with and more patient with the oversize load than people in other parts of the country.. Kinda odd since the city has a reputation for being rude.

A few key moments during the week was my ridiculous off course "adventure" where I had to make a U-Turn in NJ and later another U-Turn in CT before getting on the right track for Rt 22 north through NY to MA..... I have never gotten so lost and disoriented in a city before. it was like my brain just stopped working. LOL I still have to laugh at myself!

the second key moment was finally obtaining permission for access into an abandoned hospital in NJ... Future blog on that coming soon!! :P

New York