Medina River

San Antonio Travel Blog

On my way up from Freer, TX I decided to pull into a small state park and have a spontaneous adventure exploring Medina River.. I was actually really exicted to see this river.. I kept passing over it during our trip routes and the river reminds me of a VERY good friend whom I haven't had the wonderful pleasure of seeing in almost a year. So my sentimental side felt kinda close to him as I was sitting by the river.

The trail is not very long.. perhaps a mile, maybe a little more.. The main trail lead to a few other possible trails to walk. There were some remaining remnants of the park's former existence left behind. An old swing set, a couple of fire places and several wooden and old barb wire fences.

The river was beautiful!! It had this lovely greenish color. Kinda like a medium to dark jade. It reminded me of my friend's eyes. The same exact coloring. I spent a bit of time just watching the water flow by as the sun came close to setting.. I didn't want to leave, but I knew that it was a park with hours of operation.. While following the trail along the river I came across the largest group of vultures that I have ever seen!! all sitting together in the bare trees making a loud ruckus with their wings.

I finally made it back to my car and began to drive away into the Texan sunset when I came to the sudden realization that I might me locked in. someone had closed the gate! OH NO!!! I got out of my car to check and kept my fingers crossed that the lock was not really locked! I mean the sun is still partially up! Seriously!!! Luckily the chain was not actually locked.

As I left to meet my father at the truckstop I noticed several abandoned and graffitied houses along the highway.. Normally I lean toward rural and isolated houses for my photograph series. I'm thinking that these somewhat urban, though not completely, buildings might be worth returning to to photograph..
Old swing set
Old swing set
My shadow has a small head here..
My shadow has a small head here..
My shadow with tree shadows!
My shadow with tree shadows!
Coolest tree ever!! looks like a g…
Coolest tree ever!! looks like a …
vultures