Hunting for Houses and finding strays..

Texas Travel Blog

Clarendon, Tx

Its early in the morning and I really just want to stay in bed!  The extra looong weekend has spoiled me a bit and waking up at 6 am is not pleasant.. well actually its never pleasant! :P

We stopped in Liberal, KS last night and today we met up with the other pilot car to escort my father across the OK panhandle into Texas. Its crazy that he actually needs TWO escorts for 30 miles with an EMPTY trailer! Some laws and regulations I understand but others are beyond me..

As soon as we hit Perryton, TX I take off on my own direction leaving my father to his permitted route. I have been wanting to travel along HWY 287 for several years now to photograph the plethora of abandoned houses that I have found during my travels.. But there is one problem.

Motel in the Panhandle
RAIN! Hurricane Hermine has hit Texas and fortunately for the residents along the coast she has been demoted to a tropical depression, but the rain has made photographing decaying exteriors  a fruitless venture. :(

The bleak sky washes out the beautiful colors and textures of these modern day ruins, even the black and white images seem lifeless to me. Though the even lighting has made for some good interior shots and I tried to take advantage of that when I could.

I found about 20 houses on my drive and photographed only a handful of them. I found what looked like an old motel along Interstate 40, several pieces of furniture in various houses along with what looks like a washing machine from the 40's on the door step of one house.

Texas

Some were located on muddy dirt roads and there was no place safe to park Simone. Ironically when the sky did clear up at the end of the day I wasn't near any of the houses.. All new found houses have been meticulously entered into my black book and routes are being planned for a future road trip ;P

All and all, despite the wretched rain, I would say the day was still successful.

There was one scary encounter with some stray dogs during my drive... Well not scary as in I was being attacked by aggressive wild dogs. I saw a stray pitbull mix walking along the highway. She looked so hungry so I decided to stop and give her some food. The poor thing was skin and bones and she was so sweet natured. I gave her all my cliff bars (I didn't have dog food) and poured her some clean water in a bowl.

Memphis, TX
. while she ate and drank I tried to make room in my unctuously cluttered car for her when two more dogs came running out of the bushes and toward me. I got scared and immediately jumped in my car.. At first I wasn't sure if they were aggressive and I was terrified that they were going to hurt the pitbull. I tried to get her to come to me, but she just stayed behind my car. When they came up to my window I realized that they were not mean dogs. I no longer felt threaten by them, but I knew they were very hungry. Hungry dogs can and have bitten for food.. I didn't want to be in the middle of a dog fight over some food.  They had to have belonged to someone at one point, but now they were so skinny and tragic looking. Whoever had owned them must have abandoned them.
Self portrait in the dirty jug
. There wasn't much left of food in my car. Through the window I tossed an entire loaf of sliced bread and some other food items for them. At one point I heard the two dogs fight for something I tossed out. Which is why I was afraid to be out there feeding more than one extremely hungry stray dog. The first dog already bit me in the attempt to grab food out of my hand. I was lucky she didn't break any skin.

My cell phone wasn't working due to the dead zone location, so I couldn't call for help. Leaving the dogs was not what I wanted to do, but at the same time there was absolutely no room in my car for all three of the dogs nor did I know how they would react together inside a small space while I drove.. The Dogs kept walking around my car jumping up against the window looking at me with those big brown eyes.

The pit after eating some oatmeal cliff bars...
It was heart breaking!!! Cars were speeding by and I became worried that someone was gonna hit them because of me.. I was also getting the impression that there may have been more dogs nearby.. One of them kept running across the street to look in the bushes and then running back.. It was a difficult and painful choice, but I finally manage to drive away. They ran after me.. I felt HORRIBLE!! The nearest town was a population of 200 with no vet or police. The only person I even found in this town to ask for help or advice turned out to be deaf.. I don't know what help anyone could have offered anyway. Dogs always run loose and free in Texas. I hate it!!! And obviously the only thing that anyone would do would put the poor things down :( I didn't want that either.. There didn't seem to be a fair solution..

Self portrait in the dirty jug
The pit after eating some oatmeal …
The pit after eating some oatmeal…
Whiteflat school