Drunken Cowboys

Montpelier Travel Blog

Dad turning into the truckstop..
The drive through Wyoming was beautiful, as always, and we luckily made it to Idaho. If we hadn't we would have been in some serious trouble!!! There was absolutely NO place, not even a wide shoulder, for us to park the truck once we left Interstate 80 in Rock Springs.. It was Idaho or bust... thankfully it was Idaho! ;P

Dad decided that we could stop in Montpelier. Its a small town nestled in the valley. Its clean and pretty and apparently they are often visited by wandering bears.. Sounds like a great place to me!! :P:P

Well I wasn't fortunate enough to see any bears today, but I did have an awesome encounter with Ray the drunken cowboy and his horse, Spooks.

I was in the middle of checking into the hotel. The guy behind the counter was having an issue with the computer, so I decided to go back outside to get my stuff out of Simone, my car, when out of nowhere I hear this low singing in the distance.
The cowboy and spooks
I turn and see this man dressed like an old school cowboy and riding his horse along Highway 30 in front of the hotel!! I wave and couldn't help but smile! it was like a character from the wild west era had suddenly stepped into the 21st century! spurs and all!! except this cowboy was singing along with an Ipod!! hahaha :P:P

I was about to walk back into the hotel when he saw me and trotted in my direction.

"Are you extremely busy right now?" he asked. I hesitated at first to answer, only because I have recently been slightly scolded for some of my impulsive actions and for what appears to some as a disregard for personal safety... every now and then I hear the concerned voices of some pleading with me inside my head to walk away.. But seriously, who could walk away from this Western relic on a horse????

"No, I'm not too busy at the moment.
What is it that you need?" I responded, cautiously for those who worry. :P

"I need to go inside that store over there, but I don't see a place to tie up my horse" He slowly says with a rugged North Western slur. "Do ya think ya can watch him as I go in?" he continues.

"OF COURSE!!" i respond, obviously eager to pet the horse. "What is his name?"

"Spooks"

The cowboy slowly gets off. I can hear the clink of his spurs hit the pavement and smell the heaviness of his cologne mixed with alcohol. He hands me a rope that he would have used to tie Spooks up with and tells me not to give him water.. strange request since I obviously don't have any water on me. I didn't ask why, just took the rope and began talking to my new friend Spooks! He was beautiful.
I forget the type of horse that the Cowboy said he was.. Something with an A.. it has to do with the spotting design of his fur coat.

I'm outside the hotel doors for at least ten minutes with a horse, People are taking pictures from their hotel windows and children are pointing at me from the backseats of their parent's cars.

The cowboy returns with a small brown paper bag and tells me with a straight face: "I ride my horse because I drink (something inaudible), you can't get a D.U.I if your riding a horse"

HA!!

From there he continues to tell me that he breaks in horses for a living and rides them in rodeos... he tells me about Spooks, who is 6 years young and full of spirit. He then introduces himself as Ray and tells me that he owes me big and the next time I come through to keep an eye out for him because he is always riding town...

I had a pretty good day with a late sleep in this morning, great weather and spectacular views during the drive, but this really made the day that more special!!

My shadow..