Big Island

Hawaii Travel Blog

Everyone left, time to head out on my own. First stop, the big island. Landed in Hilo, big mistake its really boring here. I took the helicopter tour to see the volcano. Wow !!! was worth it, just for the pics. The timing was great as there was an eruption the day before. Actually got to see the lava flowing into the ocean.
Anyway so stayed in Hilo for a day then got really bored. The town shutdown after 10PM. I call it a town, coz that exactly what it was like. Didn't feel like a city at all.
Took the bus from Hilo to Kona, with Erin who I met at the hostel. I would highly recommend taking the bus if anyone visits the big island. The road goes through mountains and along the cost, and you don't have to drive so you can enjoy the scenery.

Kona was a bit better with shops and restaurants. No beaches though, or maybe there weren't any in that area. Had dinner and spent the night in Kona. Met some more kool people at the hostel, and stayed up sharing travel stories. Until we were told to shutup and go to bed.... it was only 10PM!!!
The next morning I had to wake up at 6 AM to catch a bus back to Hilo. Rested for a bit then hiked to rainbow falls. Was disappointed to see only a trickle. Headed back to town just as the tour buses pulled with a flood of tourists.