Jersey Shore Adventure

Surf City Travel Blog

After a late start, my girlfriend and I made our way towards the Jersey Shore today. We stopped for gas in Buena, NJ ($2.80/gallon, what a bargain nowadays!) and headed towards Cacia's Bakery in Hammonton. They have the best ricotta cheesecakes I've ever tasted! Next stop was Apple Pie Hill in Shamong. At the top of this highest point in the Pine Barrens sits a fire tower which can sometimes offer views of Philadelphia and Atlantic City. Alas, it was too hazy today to see any of that. The dissapointing views coupled with soft sandy roads made this a somewhat harrowing experience that was not worth it in the end.

Around 6PM we rolled into Surf City. Temperatures were hovering in the upper-60s with a stiff sea breeze of around 15 knots. Water temps were around 55 degrees, so needless to say we didn't get in the water past our toes. Following the requisite self-pictures by the ocean, we headed off to dinner. We wanted seafood, so we stopped in the first place that looked as if it would fit the bill. That place was the Lobster Claw. While it was a bit more expensive than we were hoping, they did offer a twin 1 lb. lobster platter for $29. This was more than enough for both of us to share. We had started off with a bowl of lobster bisque and another of New England Clam chowder, and by the time we got our dinners we were almost full!

By 8:30 we had finished our dinners and it was time to take Annabel back to Philadelphia so she could make it to her swing dance. On the way there, we saw a ton of lightning to the north, but only a brief shower for us. Philly Lindy Love had their first event at the Associated Polish Home in Northeast Philly, which happened to be right off of I-95. Once Annabel was situated, I made my way back to my apartment via US 1, the PA turnpike and the Blue Route. It's the long way around the city, but by that point I was tired of the Philadelphia traffic and I didnt want to go back through the city-proper again.