coron exp

Coron Travel Blog

This place really has a stronghold not only on me but also for those who have step-foot in its splendid powdery white sand and for those who have experienced the unrivaled beauty of each and every island this place has to offer.

Financial constraints and all that flaws made this trip almost impossible. But a traveler’s soul will make it through, by crook or by hook. And since I have been dreaming of going to Palawan, I made it sure that this trip will happen.

Bargain has never been this fun! Thanks to Cebu Pacific’s implausible offer, we got our plane ticket to and from Busuange for only Php 766.

After 45 minutes of soaring in the pallid sky, we then reached the place that would connect us to coron, Busuanga.

The road trip from busuanga to coron will not bore you at all. All you have to do is get an ipod and just enjoy the fallow countryside and the rich greenery. And after almost an hour, we finally arrived at coron.

We stayed at L&M P lodge which is located just beside Coron market.

coron market
We got our room for 1k, which is actually a good deal because it has an ac, hot water and incredibly affable staff.

We decided to start our coron experience with our hopes for a stunning view of the sunset in Mt. Tapyas. Unfortunately it started to drizzle and the clouds wrapped up our dazzling sun. Even so, we still enjoyed the entire view of the town when we reached the summit.

The whole climb bushed us but we can’t just end the night like that. Thus, after we had our dinner, we went for a walk and found ourselves in Kawayanan Grill station. They offer this mouth-watering sisig and a must-try coron sling . They also served beers, cocktails, and shakes and they had a live acoustic singer entertaining patrons at night.

It was a great night for everyone and we were just as excited to island hop the next day.

First stop was Siete Pecados, where we spent half an hour chasing these multi-hued creatures and luring them into eating the breads we brought specially for them. Next stop was Kayangan lake, this secluded haven cannot be reached by boat thus we needed to hiked for 10 mins to get there. A few ups and downs on massive rocks and mushy mud would really worth once the beauty of this hidden lake starts to unfold. .And so, as excited as we were we get into its green pool of still water and greeted with tiny sword fishes swimming at the edge where white large rocks could be seen below the surface.

After an hour of our first lake snorkeling, we headed to Twin Lagoon. So off we go to this two-sided lagoon separated by a small rock opening that you have to pass through to get to the other side. It is literally surrounded by gigantic rock formation like those that you’ll see in Sagada. It’s very quiet in this lake that if you’ll shout you’ll here the echo of your voice bumping on every side of it.

As much as I adore this inimitable lake, it also scared a hell out of me! JThe water is too deep, the place is too calm and there’s only like 10 people in that big lake. I can still remember how I panicky swam back to the boat, hoping that no underwater creature will pull down my feet and drag me somewhere underneath. I thought I’m being childish that time but when I turned back I was surprised that my friends were scared stiff as well. J

We docked at the white sand beach and headed to the covered bamboo tables for our lunch. Everyone dived into the table, obviously famished after a morning filled with swimming and climbing activities.

Malwawoy island doesn’t have the powdery sand of boracay but what made me love this place are those oodles white butterflies soaring and dancing in circles.

After an hour of feast, we went to this marine sanctuary nested on the western side of Coron, Twin Peek is teeming with abundant aquatic life.

I excitedly jumped in the water and snorkeled my way in the middle. Different and unique aquatic display of corals, fishes, anemones and marine animals lay before me. As soon as we dropped crumbs of bread, fishes soared from everywhere. I was ecstatic of this communion with the aquatic vertebrates. We would really want to spend more time here but there's still one more place on our list.

Our last stop, CYC which seemed like an abandoned place is actually the only island that doesn't have any entrance fee.

kayangan lake
Well maybe for the reason that it was no longer well-maintained. Good thing about this place are those mangroves abound at the area.

The sun was setting so we headed back to our lodge. We rested a bit then went to the park to experience the festival they're having that time.

Third DAY:

We decided to have another set of island hopping and go to those places we missed yesterday. We rented a boat for 1500 which can accommodate 7-10 pax and also got a single-seater kayak for free.

We started the trip on our favorite site in Coron, Twin Peak.

This world of fishes and corals never fails to astound us. We actually discover something new in here. Our boatmen dive into one of the deepest site and went back holding something on his hand. It’s like an oversized caterpillar that deflates once it’s been exposed to air. They said its one of those exotic foods that would really cost a fortune. After taking photos of this odd creature, we released our new found friend to its habitat because catching/selling it is prohibited.

Next stop, Skeleton wreck. Curious about the wreck, I went into the water to take a look and was surprise to see abundant fishes around the wreck. I couldn’t find it at first because the water was too deep. Finally, I saw a white rusty object underneath. I didn’t want to explore any further because the whole site dreaded us.

After an eerie experience at the wreck, we headed to an unnamed island to have our lunch. It’s a small stretch of powdery white sand beach with tranquil water.

maquinit
We have the whole island for ourselves alone. So after having our feast, we donned on our snorkeling gears, roamed around the area and enjoy kayaking for like an hour. We would like to stay more but we still need to pamper ourselves with a dip on a hot spring.

Our last foray was on this man made hot spring on the eastern side of Coron. Getting our tired bodies soothed with warm water would be the best way to cap the day. Balmy water from two small pools cascaded to a bigger pool and a grotto of the Virgin Mary stood on the top.

It was truly an astounding jaunt that marked our hearts ceaselessly.

ang3lic_eyz says:
thanks..:) well have a great time..:)
Posted on: Feb 28, 2010
lakwatsera says:
great post! will finally go to coron next month! can't wait!
Posted on: Feb 25, 2010