What happened to Monday??

Sydney Travel Blog

Monday, February 8th is a day I never experienced and will never get back. This was my first experience crossing over the International Date Line. I arrived in Sydney at about 9:00 am on a Tuesday morning and was set to leave later in the evening for a few nights in New Zealand.

I had no plan for what I'd do to kill time except to head into downtown Sydney to see what kind of things I could see and do. So, I dropped my bag off at the luggage storage facility at the airport and caught the train to Circular Quay. The only major sites I knew of in the entire city that I wanted to see were the obvious ones: The Sydney Opera House and the harbor bridge. After all of the time spent on the plane between Los Angeles and Sydney I was also very excited to stretch my legs a bit.
I walked over to the Opera House and found the entrance to the Royal Botanic Gardens and was disappointed that I was not dressed properly to go for a run, nor did I have the shoes for it.

I had to be content to walk over to Mrs. Macquaries Chair, which has the best on-land views of the Opera House and the harbor bridge that I could find. It was here that I was asked to take a picture for a young lady from Holland who was on a similar, though longer, trip that I was on. She and I ended up wandering around for the next few hours until I had to leave for Auckland. We walked back to the Opera House where we sat around and talked for a while before walking around in The Rocks and up onto the harbor bridge. It was a pleasant day, I got a little bit sunburned (I do love the summer weather), and I didn't think I was overly tired despite the long travel time from Wisconsin. I realized I was horribly tired when I got back on a plane to fly to Auckland and passed out the moment I sat down.
Sydney