Sights to see
Tata Travel Blog› entry 1 of 1 › view all entries
The castle stands on the shore of Old Lake. It was built by Emperor Sigismund, who also was Hungarian king, and was completed before 1412. In King Matthias time the castle had four corner towers. Today stands only the eastern one. The Turks blew up the castle in 1683 where they had left the area.
Tata was the town of water mills in the Turks time as well. It had more than 20 mills. The oldest one is the so called Cifra Malom (Fancy Mill) which is the oldest building of the town with its more than 400 years. According to tradition in the Turks time the mill worked for Turks in even days and for Hungarians in odd days.
The People' Park is a 46 hectare conservation area on the shore of Lake Cseke. Rare and extraordinary trees grace this splendid park, which was established in the second half of the 18th century.
The building of the Esterházy Chateau rise close to the western shore of Old Lake. The two storey main building was built by Jakab Fellner, who designed and built the most of the Baroque style buildings of Tata.
Tata is well known for its sport camp, where Hungarian athletes prepare themselves for international competitions.
How to get there: Tata is along the highway No 100 between Komárom and Tatabánya. The town has also a train connection with Budapest and Győr.