Going for the Food

Sauget Travel Blog

Philly Cheesesteak Nachos

You would have thought we went to the Grizzlies game solely for the food.  For SarahBeth's birthday, I promised her tickets to a Gateway Grizzlies game, whenever a date would work out for us.  She had heard that Grizzlies games were highly entertaining in addition to the baseball game itself and wanted to experience it.  I wanted to experience the food, supposedly the ballpark has baseball's best nachos (philly cheesesteak nachos) AND they have the caloric extravaganga: the Krispy Kreme cheeseburger (a bacon cheeseburger made with a Krispy Kreme donut as the bun).

The season almost went by us, but closing weekend, Saturday, September 4 worked into our schedules (and funnily enough -- it was a game against the Southern Illinois Miners, making it my FOURTH Miners' game of the season.

the Krispy Kreme cheeseburger
I almost wore my Miners shirt).  We got to the ballpark early.  I hadn't bought tickets ahead of time.  I figured we could sit in the lawn seats if need be.  But, we were able to get real seats, real good seats at that, right behind home plate.  We found our seats, but then went over to the Ballpark Grill... we had come hungry!  I had made my decision. I was getting those nachos.  SarahBeth debated, but opted for the Krispy Kreme cheeseburger.  We would just sample each other's food.  The nachos may not only be baseball's best nachos, I think they are the BEST nachos ever.  Tri-color tortilla chips, topped with philly cheesesteak meat, optional sauteed green peppers and onions, smothered with an amazing cheese sauce.  The Krispy Kreme cheeseburger was interesting, a sweet-savory combination, but it was definitely too much for one person to handle.

Once we ate, we returned to our seats and watched the pre-game entertainment.  Decent game, but I don't remember many details.  Like I said -- I went for the food.  We left before the game was over.  Apparently, I have a bad habit of doing that.  But, it was getting cold, and to be quite honest, I was done.  I have a short attention span, and I had had enough.  (And, SarahBeth agreed.)

mmm...mmm... the best nachos EVER