The bridge over river kwai was... kind of a disapointment

Kanchanaburi Travel Blog

After receiving advises about going to Kanchanburi i jumped on a train from Bangkok Noi railwaystation. Its quite far from the Hua Lamphong railway station so i had to take a taxi which totalled in 90bath. The trainticket is 100 bath for foreigners regardless of which stop you get off at , which is about double of the bus which might be more comfortable.

Well there i checked into Thai Guesthouse which proved to be another great hostel/guesthouse. I got a double room with fan and TV (with BBC world) and rented a motorbike for 150 bath a day and just drove around Kanchanburi and around. I rode around 250km during the days i was there and saw A LOT of things.

I was supposed to go with on a tour with "Good times" travel agency, but the cancelled the tour because they claimed it have been a fire in the forest.
Thats really to bad because I had paid 2100 bath to join the two day tour and was really looking forward to it.

Here is what i did:

Tiger Temple - Very touristy and expensive. I paid 500 bath extra to watch the tiger excersize after everyone else had left. It was quite good and I got some good photos. Its located around 40km away from Kanchanburi on road 323. (North West , opposite direction of Bangkok)

Two War cemetaries - One had a lot of people , the other one (outside of town) was empty. I think the one outside of town was better

Bat/Buddah Cave - Around 10km outside of Kanchanburi on road 323 i saw a sign to a nearby cave. The cave was big and there where some very narrow passages. There where also tons of bats in this cave which became VERY scary after the guides turned off the light because the thought the cave was empty.
Luckily I had my cellphone and turned on the video function and the assist light and managed to find my way out. Othervise i would have stayed there until the next visitor which could be days.. I was really scared after seing the bats in the light and just hearing them in the darkness before i found my cellphone which had a light.

Ha phon Cave (Buddah Cave). Good cave as well with a reclining buddah. I had a MC and a Italian guy i met hopped on the back and we drove to see the cave. This is the best cave ive seen in Kanchanburi and is well worth a visit.

Death Railway Museum: Good museum about the construction of the railway with items belonging to the POW's and just lots of history. 100 bath

Sing Gardens - Far away from Kanchanburi (at least 50kilometers) this place contains two big ruins from an important temple that was visited by Rama V a long time ago.
The admission is supposed to be 30/100bath, but all the people i talked to got it for free

Elephant Village. You can ride Elephants on a short circut in the "jungle" and afterwards the Elephants will go into the river while and you can bath with them. I just watched

And off course the Bridge over Riwer Kwai. The river kwai was not called Riwer Kwai before after the movie because the author did a mistake. THen many tourists wanted to see this bridge and the thais simply changed the name of the river so that the tourists would have something to see.. Go Thai!

photo by: wbboy29