Touching whalesharks.. and some fireflies

Donsol Travel Blog

I went on a an overnight bus with (Cawasaga bus company) and as normal it was freezing inside and i had to put on my sweater and some pants to survive. I wish i knew why people want the busses sol cold that they have to wear blankets and clothing normally seen in colder countries. Anyway..

I arrived in Legaspi terminal for a great view of Mt. Mayon before i waited for about 15minutes for the van to "fill up". The driver just left with a half full van and expected us to pay almost twice to normal fare (P65 became P100). Since i didnt want to wait hours for the next van (this was around 5:30 AM) i accepted. I arrived in Donsol at around 7:15 and headed straight to the Tourist information and less than 30minutes after setting foot in the tourist information i was on a boat with two swedes , a japanese women and a Filippino guy that seemed like he really was enjoying the tour and shouting and having lots of fun.
We saw around 10 whalesharks at the 2.5hour trip and me and the swedes quickly decided to go on another tour and made a "hush-hush" agreement with the boatmen to go on another trip for P1000 an hour.

When we was talking about this at a nearby resturant someone came up to us and asked if they could join. We said that it would probably be ok, but when at the boat the boatmen refused. Probably because the agreement was hush-hush and they wherent allowed to go on annother trip without paying something to the tourist information.

The 2.nd trip was in many ways better. There where fewer sharks, but the visibility was better and the interactions where longer because we had learned how not to scare them away by swimming in front of them or above them. I can assure all of you that its an incredible (and tiresome!) experience to snorkel next to a 8m whaleshark for 10minutes.

At the end of the day I also did the "Firefly tour" which was a little disapointment because we just headed up the river and stopped at a tree for about an hour and just listened to the informative guide before we headed back. The price is P1200 for a boat which seats 5persons.
Donsol