Touring the Middle East with an old friend

Dubai Travel Blog

When i signed off in Rotterdam I had a coupleof months of vacation saved up and I decided to go to Dubai and see where life took me. I told one of my friends that I where going and he wanted to tag along which worked out great , as you save heaps on acomodations and life is better spent in the company of others.

What we did Day1:

We went to Mall of the Emirates and Ski Dubai. I went on this vacation to get away from the icy cold Norway and the first thing i do is to put on a few skiis and goes skiing in the middle of the desert.. Ironic isnt it?
We got a few looks in skidubai where we raced directly down the slope without braking or stopping holding my camera on recording to get a good movie to show my friends.
It takes around 30seconds to skii down the slope if anyone wondered.

This was followed by a trip around Mall of the Emirates where i lost twice in bowling scoring an measly score of 50 or something. Last time i went bowling (in Tallinn) i lost the first time, but after downing 6-7 beers i got 6strikes in a row. Im sure the thing would have happened in Dubai if they served beer..
As the evening was getting closer we took the metro to Khalid Bin Waleed and took a late night walk along the creek looking at the yatchs and Deira’s Skyline. A funny thing was that we met a person conviced that he could convert our belifs to the Islamic ways and asked us alot of questions about life and so on. Were both atheists , but really enjoyed to listen while he talked about Islams and Muslims in General
The day was ended with quite a few beers at the pub at our Hotel , which was probably the best night at the pub as nobody bothered us.

Day2:

We began day 2 quite late due to jetlag and the not so quite a few beers the day before. We walked through Bautista which is reconstructed to look like Dubai did before the building boom started in the 1970’s. After that we went down to the Abra station and took an Abra across the creek from Bur Dubai to Deira. THIS IS A MUST DO IN DUBAI! After that we went to the Spice Souk and made a couple of bad deals when we bought some spices and some souvenirs , before finding an”resturant” in a backyard with horrible food and no fork/knife. It was like little India..
On the way back we stumbled on the Gold Souk which was very disapointing. To sum it up it was guys selling
everything that can be faked for a ”special price for you” and lots of normal gold stores in a row , and a sign quoting the gold price of the day.

Day 3.
The day started with Dubai Museum where we found Osama’s hidingplace. (Inside Joke) and Finally found the Khaled Bin Waleed Metro-station and how we got there from our hotel. It was a 10-15minute walk to the metro station so we decided to buy NOL-cards (payment for public transport) to stop using taxis.
On the way back we decided to eat on an Indian Resturant which can be described as a disaster. I practically ate grose food on top of a bush! The food can almost not be described other than some weird tasting sauces eated from a leaf of a plant which i was told not to eat. Other indian resutrants ive been to have been ok, but guess they are ”Norwegianized” to suit our taste buds?
Later we went on Desert Safaris with the company ”Afridi / ATNT”.
This featured cruising on sand dunes , camel rides , ATV-rides (100DHS extra) and a show with Belly dansing and other shows , and a quite good dinner. It is TOTALLY worth the 175 DHS we paid.

Day4.
We walked around Dubai Marina (VERY IMPRESSING) for a few hours following a short pitstop at Dubai Marina Mall which was halfway opened at the time of our visit. After we went to Burj Dubai/Dubai Mall and walked around the mall for a few hours and watching the spectacular lightshow between these structures. We decided to watch Avartar in 3D, but since there where only seats availble on the front row we decided to do it some other time and just walk around. We just caught the last subway home.

Day 5
We went to Dubai Museum and hopped on the ”Hop on-hop of” bus company and went to Jumeriah Beach Resort and looked around and ended up ”Souk Madinat” while passing the entrance to Burj Al Arab on the way and snapped a few pictures on the way.

We hopped on the bus again and went out to the Palm Island and was amazd by the big Atlantis Hotel , and went through the Atlantis Aquarium and I who have seem ”Stargate Atlantis” really enjoyed myself as I got a few pictures to impress my scifi-friends.
The next stop was the Moonrail to the other side of the palm which gave quite a few good views of the different ”leafs” of the palm. We then returned to the Hop-on bus and took it to Dubai Mall where we saw Avartar in 3D before taking a taxi home

vangie says:
Nice one :-)
Posted on: Jul 20, 2014
iodized_96 says:
Nice blog Congrats Christian!
Posted on: Apr 04, 2010