In and out of Bosnia

Bosnia and Herzegovina Travel Blog

Welcome to Bosnia Herzegovina!

When I was planning my trip to Croatia the first thing I thought of was going to the Plitvice Lakes in the east of the country. And looking at the map I was surprised of how close Bosnia Herzegovina was from there. The next plan was born: after the visit to the lakes I was going to visit Bosnia as well. A short visit, but I just liked the idea.

And so, in april 2010 I rented a car together with my dad who was my travel companion this time. And after a great day at the Plitvice Lakes we headed for the Croatian/Bosnian border. The road to the bordercrossing lead us through true ghosttowns. Small villages where 90% of all the houses were shot, bombed and abandoned. Strangly enough there were still people living in these towns, living their lives in solitude and between the ruins.

Although the landscapes in Bosnia were absolutely amazing, the sight of the villages in the surroundings of the city Bihac was pretty much the same. Ruins everywhere, and often the new houses were built right next to the ruins they had to replace. A surreal view. Memories of the destructive war were everywhere in the area I visited, but the houses, the green hills, and the spectacular mountains and blue rivers did make Bosnia sparkle here and there.