Coast, party and waterfalls in Brazil

Brazil Travel Blog

In december 2010, right after Christmas, I left Holland for a three week trip in South America. For years I'd been thinking about visiting South America, and now it was the second time in half a year after visiting French Guiana earlier. The plan was simple: arriving in Sao Paulo, and going back from Buenos Aires. That's all I had planned!

Because my family back home are always worried about me and the places I visit, they didn't want me to stay in Sao Paulo for too long. Probably some programs on TV that made them scared. But to please them, I decided to take the first bus to Curitiba after arriving in Brasil. Curitiba was a nice first city to visit in the country.

It's green, it's clean and it has a nice "feel". No huge attractions, but a nice stop for a day and a half.

From Curitiba I left for Florianopolis, and the island of Santa Catarina. The island is gorgeous, and is a fantastic place to enjoy the beach, meet people and have a nice party. I celebrated New Year's Eve here, on the beach, drinking caipirinha. I don't know if it was my great knowledge of languages, or the alcohol, but my Portuguese went perfect that night! :)

From "Floripa" I took the nightbus all the way to Foz do Iguaçu: a 16 hours busride. Foz is a very charming little city. It's beautifully situated near to the Iguacu river and the jungle, and of course; the Waterfalls! This was the most beautiful natural sight I have ever seen in my life! Although I must say that the Argentinian side of the Falls is even better...

On my last day in Foz I also visited the nearby Itaipu Dam, an impressive piece of mega-constructing. And after that it was time to cross the chaotic bordercrossing to Ciudad del Este in Paraguay.

Glynnes says:
Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Blog.
Posted on: Sep 26, 2012