The tension mounts

Vancouver Travel Blog

As the Olympics were reaching the final days the tension in the city was growing.  The first couple of weeks the locals were having a great time as the Canadian team was winning far more then we expected and every night both downtown Vancouver and the middle of Whistler village were party zones celebrating that day's victories.  The main event for most Canadians was the men's hockey tournament.  In the early part of the tournament Team Canada did what was expected and won most of it's games.  As the tournament got near the end the games became more important and us fans got more nervous each time.

Again I had a simple day, I took my group from their Vancouver hotel to the hockey stadium.

A distance of less then 2km and then just waited for the game to end.  Due to security rules the fans needed to be at the stadium 4 hours before game time so I had plenty of time to kill.  I knew of a nice Japanese restaurant that was going to show the game on near the stadium so I decided to walk around to work off some of the nervous energy.

I had to be near the bus so I could not walk far but there was a lot to be seen within a few hundred meters.  The hockey stadium is near a waterway called False Creek.  On the other side of False Creek was the Athlete's Village and all along the shore was different Olympic related tents.

One of the biggest was a huge tent called Molson House which was basically a massive beer garden, sponsored by a large Canadian brewery, that had a hockey theme.

Also some of the provincial tourism boards had buildings set up trying to promote travel to their region.  Even the Russians had taken over Science World (our local science museum) and called it Russian House and it was of course promoting the next Winter Olympics, Sochi.

Another cool thing I saw was a large amount of foreign media.  Some of this media was just taking video and photos of the skyline but some were conducting interviews right among the crowds.  I watched the Japanese network, JHK, interview what looked to be one of their athletes.

The goods news is the Canada played well and went on to win the gold medal a few days later.  I actaully watched the gold medal game from the office I was working out of in Vancouver.  Our office was about 1km from the hockey stadium and we could hear the cheering from inside the rink when we stood outside.  The amount of noise us Canadian fans make when we won the game was incredible as the whole city exploded into happiness. Nothing is more important to Canadians then hockey.

photo by: Browser