Jumping into snow

Vancouver Travel Blog

This was a pretty good day.  This day was one of the few that I actually got to drive to one of the venues and the only time I was able to in Whistler.  My client, Omega, was the official watch and timing company for the Olympics so naturally the company was more interested in the timed events rather then the judged.  On this day I was told to take the group to the Whistler Olympic Park for ski jumping.

Whistler Olympic Park is about a 45 minute drive south of the main village in an area called Callaghan Valley which is a very beautiful unspoiled area within the Coastal Mountain Range.  I have driven up here both in the summer and the winter and it always looks great.

Most days, during the Olympics, my bus was not allowed near the Whistler venues.

I had to take my clients to what was called the Transportation Mall and they would take another bus from there to the venue.  For some reason on this day official sponsor buses were allowed to drive to the Olympic Park and I was included in this group.  We found out this was good news and bad news.

The good news was this meant for once we were in the middle of the action.  This was a day they would be awarding medals in the ski jumping competition so there was a lot of excitement around the complex.  Ski jumping might be an almost invisible in Canada but it was obvious from the people around us that many European countries take this sport very seriously.

The bad news was there was we had to stay in the parking lot with our buses and we would not have a chance to see the event.  Also as they had not expected to have many buses up here we had no place to get food or even proper washrooms.  We were kind of stuck in the parking lot for 6 hours while we waited for our clients to return.

Luckily the weather was great and I got some get photos of the snow covered mountains.

photo by: Browser