Hanging out in Whistler

Whistler Travel Blog

Did not have to do much this day.  Mostly hung out in a huge parking lot in Whistler and watched buses cruise on by.  At times I felt I was the only driver in Whistler that was doing nothing.  It felt great! I did get some nice photos of buses from my friends.  For those of you that do not drive buses or maybe would rather have a tooth pulled then watch buses these photos will not interest you.

For those of us that really really like buses this was a rare chance to take photos, from all over North America, in one of the most beautiful parts of the world.  The fact  that this was happening during the largest event that Vancouver has ever hosted makes it even better.
  This parking lot was super busy and was kept organized by a small army of blue uniformed staff.  The leader of this crew funnily enough was a guy from Texas who spent the whole Olympics randomly moving orange pylons around while proudly wearing his University of Texas Longhorns baseball cap.  In the middle of Canadian mountains and I am taking instructions from a guy from Dallas.  Go figure.

I also spent some wandering around the village taking some quick photos.  Even some of my clients enjoying the sights.

After a while I was eventually needed by clients.  In between Whistler village and Whistler Olympic Park, in the Callahan Valley, is an area that has been used by snowmobile riders for years.  Inside this area is a company does high quality tours for high end clients and that is exactly what my clients wanted that day.

If you have never been into the Callahan Valley and you have the chance it is worth the visit.  The road into the valley is brand new and replaces an old narrow logging road.  This road was built for the Olympics as at the top of the road is the Whistler Olympic Park, home to the ski jump and cross country trails.  On a sunny day then whole drive is awesome as you slowly climb out of the valley and get to see parts of the Coastal Mountain Range.  I have done the trip now in winter and summer and really enjoy it.  On this day I would barely go up the new road five minutes before I would turn off onto a side road.

The clubhouse for the snowmobile company is only about 1 km off the main road and maybe 5 km off the Sea to Sky Highway but the last 1 km is down a ever narrowing rough gravel road.
  Most people would rather do this trip in a big truck and certainly not in their family car but I got to do it in a 3/4 million dollar 45 foot long tour bus.  No problem.

Unfortunately I did not get to go riding with my clients.  My day was almost over and I had to take the bus back to Whistler so my relief could take over for the rest of the day.

The good news was my company had rented us drivers a awesome 3 bedroom townhouse to stay in overnight.  Knowing what some people were paying for just a hotel room in Whistler I would hate to know what Horizon paid for this place for the whole Olympics.  I can say though this place rocked.  It had great views, in all directions of the mountains.  The back door led to some nice cross country trails and the river.  Best of all the place was short walk from the centre of the village.  Close enough that we could go back and forth and take in the atmosphere of the Olympics but far enough away we could get sleep when everyone was partying.
Whistler Hotels & Accommodations review
Condos on the golf course
These are beautifully outfitted condos right on the Chateau Whistler Golf Course. It is a short walk or city bus ride from the Blackcomb day lodge. … read entire review
Whistler Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Great hidden place
I did not realise this cafe has more then one location until I just looked at their website. The only location I have been to is the one on Northland… read entire review
photo by: alitoronto