Southern Morocco with a backpack

Morocco Travel Blog

The Djemaa El-Fna in Marrakech

Morocco always fascinated me as a country: from books when I was young, from the stories my geopraphy teacher told me, and from movies I saw about it. It's not an African country, and it's not a Middle-Eastern country. It has mountains, desert and beaches. It is traditional and modern at the same time, and on top of that the food is said to be great and the weather is often very good.

That's why I immediately booked when I saw a cheap ticket to Marrakech. Finally the chance to go and see this fascinating country with my own eyes! My trip to Morocco was split in two by a visit to Western Sahara, and the periods before and after the "Sahara" were pretty different. It started with a stay in Ouarzazate and the desert area around it: forts, canyons, oases and a looong busride to Western Sahara after that.

After coming back to Morocco I went more to the coastline and visited the picturesque fishermen's town Essaouira with its beautiful old town and its great fresh fish. And Casablanca was the next destination with its modern mosque and its vived citylife that is a lot more western than anything else I saw in the country. And in between all these places Marrakech was the base all the time: and Marrakech...WOW! What a treat was your senses it that!

Conclusion...the books, the movies and my geography teacher were wrong. It is even more fascniating as I expected!

The Djemaa El-Fna in Marrakech
In front of the Mohammed II Mosque…
In front of the Mohammed II Mosqu…