Oman internationally

Oman Travel Blog

Cooking a X-mas dinner in Oman

Spending two weeks in Dubai alone didn't feel Arabic enough for me, so I decided to visit Oman for a week as well. From Dubai it's an easy busride to Muscat, the capital of Oman, and from there I went on a small roundtrip around the country that turned out to be a very international experience.

The first stop was the small town Ibra, in the middle of the country. Here I spent a few days in the middle of the desert, for away from civilisation, but surprisingly, surrounding by all kinds of nationalities. In Ibra I stayed with an American Couchsurfer who was organising a big American X-mas dinner, including a turkey. I helped her cooking the dinner, and we had a great celebration there together with South Africans, Canadians, Englishmen, Irish and even two other Dutch people.

After this stay in Ibra, I continued towards the fantastic city Nizwa, the old, cultural capital of Oman, followed by an interesting visit to the beautiful new capital of the country, Muscat. I saw some very nice old towns, modern Omani culture, lonely desert and great mountain landscapes, and still I have the feeling that I need to go back, because that small country has so many things to offer.

Plus: I have never been to a country where the local people are so extremely friendly as in Oman! And Oman was the 51st country in the world I visited so that really is a special achievement!

The Great Mosque in Muscat, Oman