Dubai on a budget

United Arab Emirates Travel Blog

The Burj Al-Arab by night in Dubai

In the past few years it became a habit to make at least one trip outside of Europe every year. In 2005 until 2008 I made some fantastic journeys like that. But in december 2009 I still didn't have any intercontinental trips in the whole year. That's why I decided to look for the cheapest intercontinental ticket, book it and go. And that cheapest ticket brought me to Dubai! So Dubai on a low budget, what was that gonna be like?

Being in Dubai is something special: I call it "Disneyland for grown-ups". Big cars, huge building and incredible luxury everywhere you look. Fantastic to see, but nothing more than that. Even if I could afford all that luxury, I'd rather to it low-budget because my night of sleep is just as good sleeping on a couch as sleep in a king-size bed in a 5-star hotel. So couchsurfing was the key: that way I ended up sleeping in a nice appartment, on the couch.

But also sightseeing in Dubai can easily be done without spending a lot of money. Walking around in the modern business district, right in the middle of all those great buildings is fantastic, a shopping mall is just as great without buying a lot of stuff, and a must-see: the old part of Dubai: Bur Dubai and Deira: these are the area's where food is still cheap and the buildings are still old. Add a bit of party-crashing and Dubai on a low budget really works! :)