AsiaIndia

A visit to cellular Jail.

Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Blog

We reached Andaman after three days cruise through see. It was a tiring experience. Though ship reached shore we were let get off from the vessel after 1 hrs of arrangements on land. I heard nowadays its faster than then. Our stay was arranged in a Govt. Guest house of Indian Postal department. Baba had a friend in the main Island of Andaman, Port Blair. His family gave a warm welcome to us.
After taking shower and lunch at Uncle's place we all along with uncle's family went to see famous Cellular jail. It was a huge compound, there were three different wings. One part was a museum. Pictures and artifacts of prisoners during British and Japanese regime was on display. I was scared see torture scripts. There was a library and a small kiosks with merchandise. Maa purchased some book one of them was "Veer savarkar" - A life long struggle. It was my reading for next one week, while exploring Andaman.
It is a place where Netaji paid a visit thus it was haing emotional importance for us. That afternoon sun, splash of water, View of Port blair from top of the wings of cellular jail still alive in my travel emory.
jethanad says:
Thank you and your parents for sharing this experience
Posted on: Mar 20, 2010
ebbin says:
A touch of patriotic emotions passed through me. I remember the Hindi movie - Kalapani.
Posted on: Mar 13, 2010
I was in Play school when my Baba (Father) arranged a trip to Andaman Islands during our school holidays. Andaman is the farthest island of India. I heard many story of it from my parents and siblings. Later when I was big enough I read about it a lot as liked it at my first visit.
Our journey started one evening from Khidirpur dock, Kolkata. Our Cruise name was "M V HARSHABARDHAN". I wanted to see sea but that evening our cruise ship didn't enter Bay of Bengal. I waited and waited till late finally slept.
Next morning after leaving bed me and my brother went to deck with Baba to see endless water. That moment still same alive as then. We had too cabins for us. Staying is a cruise ship for 4 days was like living in a big hotel where you can find everything other than the key to the door going out. Every floor of the ship had many cabins. All passages were cover with thick glass. You can see blue wave of wter but you can feel it only from any of the three decks.
Pool, Food, Movie hall, chat rooms, nice cabin services all together didn't let me feel home sick. I still remember every morning my parents used to encourage us to go around the ship. Didi (Elder sister) Never liked to go or do anything without parent. Most of the time I went along with my elder brother (Dada) . Few occasion when I went alone I was lost but that too was a nice game. Kind of hide and seek with ship full of friends.
Once me and Dada were playing  in Deck 3. It was a very windy afternoon. We were playing near pool side. Sudden wind made us both to fall. Crew members rescued us. My slippers fell and in a whisker they were taken by the wind. Little frightened but that didn't stop us from playing again there next day.
Contd................